Unite Students Accommodation Room Rental Costs - Can they change the price for the exact same room?

Comments

• AdrianC said:
    I'm sure it has made you feel pretty rubbish - but that's not quite the same as starving, is it?

Look at it this way - you've contracted to, what, a 40wk minimum contract? So we're talking about the difference between £6k and £7.4k. Plus, of course, your tuition - another £9k. So that's the difference between £15k and £16.4k. About 9%. It gets even smaller once you include all the other costs of living.

This is pretty damn premium-rate student life. Unite's website also talks about their "flexibility". I guess, what with it being Sunday, you haven't actually spoken to them...? But you have, of course, had a chance to look at the cancellation section of your contract, right? And what does it say?
    If it’s student finance then tuition wouldn’t be factored in at this point, paid back later once earning 25k. Unless you have paid for the tuition fees yourself, then sure factor it in.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You still haven't answered the question...
    Sounds to me like renter's remorse more than anything else. You now want a reduction because your circumstances changed, but you don't want to allow the LL to reduce rents because their situation changed also.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman said:
    You still haven't answered the question...
    Sounds to me like renter's remorse more than anything else. You now want a reduction because your circumstances changed, but you don't want to allow the LL to reduce rents because their situation changed also.
    I would've asked the same question I have done if my plane ticket was cheaper than what I paid for 3 months down the line. Renting is totally new to me. I learnt about plane tickets because I asked people for help to understand, like I'm doing now but I feel as though people are coming from all different angles telling me what I've done wrong instead of giving me advice?  The cooling off period was the 11 days from the day you paid them advanced rent. So for me it would've been the 1st August. I'm not annoyed because I could've saved some money to go off 'partying all night', I'm annoyed because I don't know if I've been duped or not and if this is allowed in the renting world? If it's completely plausible then so be it. I'll deal with it when I move and work some financial plan. If it's not allowed then I'm glad I sought help because now I can do something about it. 
  • joshp1993
    joshp1993 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't see how you've been duped, other than the landlord maybe exaggerating how full these rooms were? They could've had a lot of cancellations on results day with people who were expecting to go to uni no longer able to, or they've realised they're less likely to fill them now. You were happy to pay the price at the time - regarding your other point I don't see you could argue for a reduced plane ticket just because the price changed, that's just life, the price of things go up and down. If I bought something at the supermarket for £6 and next week it's £5 on offer, I'm not going to complain, it's just bad luck.
  • joshp1993 said:
    I don't see how you've been duped, other than the landlord maybe exaggerating how full these rooms were? They could've had a lot of cancellations on results day with people who were expecting to go to uni no longer able to, or they've realised they're less likely to fill them now. You were happy to pay the price at the time - regarding your other point I don't see you could argue for a reduced plane ticket just because the price changed, that's just life, the price of things go up and down. If I bought something at the supermarket for £6 and next week it's £5 on offer, I'm not going to complain, it's just bad luck.
    I didn't say I've been duped I'm asking fellow humans if I have or not because I don't know? I bought a plane ticket when I was 14 and wanted to know why it cost me more than some other woman. So I just used that as an example to this current situation?? I'm sure 2020 has been stressful for everyone, so when I was happy to pay this price on the 11th, by the 20th I had lost my job and many more factors. I'm happy to pay the price still, I'm just asking if I'm within right to ask about the reduced cost. 
  • numbercruncher8
    numbercruncher8 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2020 at 9:59PM
    No, you haven't been duped. That is the answer. Just chalk it up to experience. Unfortunately property is like that. The same clauses you whinge about also protect you. If demand exceeded supply or a load of rich students badly wanted your room and were willing to pay double to Unite, they couldn't deny you what you have signed for.

On the rest of it, read the contract, there may be a way out if you don't want it anymore.
    If your circumstances have changed, it may be worth writing to them and saying so. Not that uncommon for uni students to drop out part-way through a course, so they may have leniency.
    917700 Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    This is not right place to ask this question. Ignore those judgement posts.

Have a look of the terms of the contract, ask United Students ‘can I terminate the contract early’. 

In April, a lot of students were offered early termination and particle refund. 

Good luck. 
    First Post Name Dropper
    917700 said:

Have a look of the terms of the contract, ask United Students ‘can I terminate the contract early’. 

Good luck. 
    Partial refund
  • 917700 said:
    917700 said:

Good luck. 
    Partial refund
    I'll look into it. Apologies but I don't have anywhere else to ask :/ I'm a bit stumped because I'm supporting myself throughout this student process. Everything is completely new to me, but I appreciate your straight answer. 
    First Post Name Dropper
    917700 said:
    917700 said:

Good luck. 
    Partial refund
    I'll look into it. Apologies but I don't have anywhere else to ask :/ I'm a bit stumped because I'm supporting myself throughout this student process. Everything is completely new to me, but I appreciate your straight answer. 
    I completely understand your feelings. I wish you can find a new job and get life back to track soon. 

In June and July, some London students property landlord offered 20% - 30% discount to their existing tenants to renew the contract. But I personally think the rent will go back to pre-COVID level in September and October. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback