Comments

• JollyLady
    JollyLady Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JollyLady said:
    naedanger said:
    naedanger said:
    Well from what the solicitor said it sounds like the two-blood great grandchildren are each entitled to £10k.
    Therefore if others want to see another step great grandchild inherit £10k (to equal the blood great grandchildren's share) then you could insist that they take this from their share.

I guess what I am about to say next you will not like, but I am actually saying for your benefit and not anyone else. If I was in your position I would ensure the step great grandchild was also given £10k. This cost of this should (provided your daughter agrees) be split equally between yourself your son, and  your daughter (as you three share the residual amount equally). Alternatively if your daughter won't agree I would split the cost equally between yourself and your son.

If just seems to me best to take a pragmatic decision and move on as quickly as possible. If you are getting a large inheritance then don't let it actually cause you harm when it should be a significant benefit.
    I wouldn't ask the daughter to give up any of her inheritance, she is recently widowed with a long child, the money will be very useful to her I'm sure. 

The son and the OP should use their shares to provide for the step grandchildren. 
    Good point. I think I was looking at it a bit too logically/clinically and forgetting the daughter's circumstances.
    Interested as to why the money is more useful to the highest achiever in our family? Yes bereaved, but also she has time on her side, and a lot of support. Feels like backwards thinking. Also not sure if a widow when not legally married. 
    I can’t believe you are talking about your own daughter that way when she has just lost the father of her child!! 

I am so out of this thread, good luck to anybody who has dealings with you. 
    Sorry if it came across that way, of course it did. My sincere apologies. Stressed as hell. I protect and support my daughter and grandson and they are my main focus. She does have a lot going for her though, and let's hope she can reconnect with that, whilst all of us keep J's memory living on
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,364 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The grandchildren by blood are entitled to £10k each under the will - if they are still under 18 this cannot be reduced by them, or the adults.  This is fixed and simple.

The adults who inherit may choose to give some money to the step grandson - this is their individual choice and not to be enforced or decided by the executors.  For the sums involved there seems no benefit in going through a deed of variation, it would be a simple present from the adult in question.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport