Badly packed item

Options
I bought an expensive bag from a seller with good reviews. Item arrive looking like a piece of rubbish in a black bin liner covered in brown tape. Once this was removed it revealed a layer or 2 of bubble wrap. under this the xtremely expensive bag had been crammed into a too small Molton Brown carrier bag. Because the carrier bag was too small the item was sort of bent and folded over. I have tried to resolve the crease in the leather by packing the bag with tissue and leaving it in a warm place hoping the very noticeable crease right across the fronyt will disappear. I can still see it after 48 hours and don't think it will improve.
I shall almost certainly return the item. why on earth do people skimp on packaging? The item cost over 300 pounds, a free box from the supermarket would have protected it.

Comments

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect because they used what they had to hand when posting and decided to not buy packaging. I have avoided listing anything likely to suffer in transit unless I had the means to send it properly first.
    Have you raised the issue of the crease with the buyer at all? They may argue that your attempt to fix it was actually you damaging it
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TripleH said:
    I suspect because they used what they had to hand when posting and decided to not buy packaging. I have avoided listing anything likely to suffer in transit unless I had the means to send it properly first.
    Have you raised the issue of the crease with the buyer at all? They may argue that your attempt to fix it was actually you damaging it
    I wouldn't even bother mentioning it, just email seller and explain item was damaged in transit, and then if necessary open an SNAD claim and send it back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    The item measures 39x38 cms. It was in a paper carrier bag measuring 40x32 cms. i will email seller to say I am returning it.
  • soolin
    Options
    The item measures 39x38 cms. It was in a paper carrier bag measuring 40x32 cms. i will email seller to say I am returning it.
    Probably safer if you let seller know that you are wanting to return it die to SNAD and do this properly through an ebay case so that buyer supplies a fully tracked label. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    soolin said:
    Probably safer if you let seller know that you are wanting to return it die to SNAD and do this properly through an ebay case so that buyer supplies a fully tracked label. 

I have done this. awaiting a return label from seller. Feel quite bad about this, my first return in almost 1000 purchases but it has been damaged due to to poor packaging. I have wrapped the bag in a clean pillowcase, then bubble wrap then in a big box with polystyrene chips.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I once received a hard drive just taped up in an Asda carrier bag.
  • soolin
    Options
    molerat said:
    I once received a hard drive just taped up in an Asda carrier bag.
    I have mentioned these stories several times before so apologies regulars! I used to have to queue at the PO with my parcels and saw some really wonderful examples- a woman trying to send a long mirror merely covered with a black bin bag and also a lady with a flimsy cake box who insisted the post office clerk told the postman to keep it upright at all times as it contained a delicate wedding cake. 

Less spectacular was me receiving a china mug just loose (and in bits) in a paper Jiffy bag. Mind you we did have a thread on here many years ago where someone argued that as the shop sold wine glasses in those flimsy display boxes then that should be sufficient for the post as well, the argument being that the shop didn’t make the glasses so they must have travelled there without getting broken. The concept of larger outer boxes and pallets having completely escaped them. 
  • fenwick458
    fenwick458 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin said:
    a lady with a flimsy cake box who insisted the post office clerk told the postman to keep it upright at all times as it contained a delicate wedding cake. 

unbeleivable  :D

• Lanzarote1938
    Options
    Item has been posted. Return postage label supplied only insured the item for $50 (sorry can't find the pound sign) so it cost quite a bit more to up the ipostage to cove the $300+ cost of the item.
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    Seller has refunded by e=cheque. Is this a guarantee that i will get my money?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback