We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Exchanging without completion date

2»

Comments

  • LigerMule said:
    Not been inside the property for around three weeks, but things looked promising at that point. The kitchen was starting to be installed and the bathrooms fitted. My husband drove on site today and from the outside just appears to be the fencing, garage door and driveway. 

    The builders keep promising us we will be moving on this date, we have booked a home demo for two days prior. We will be on the phone on Monday chasing, and it is quite possible that we could ask to go inside also to check on progress.
    Actually that was around 4 weeks ago now, thinking about it,
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eddddy said:
    Mickey666 said:
    Is it even possible to exchange contracts without a date?  

    Yep - it's very usual with new builds.
    Interesting.  I'll add that to my list of reasons to never buy a new build.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 16 August 2020 at 12:19AM
    LigerMule said:

    The builders keep promising us we will be moving on this date, 
    Of course they'll have a target date. They want the property finished and sold. However with the majority of trades subcontracted these days. Construction doesn't run to a fixed timetable. There'll have little control over daily events. Then there's Covid to be considered and safe working practices in terms of who can be in the property at the same time working. 

  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right so if you are reasonably confident that you will have your new house ready on proposed completion date or soon after then your options are clearly to speak to your solicitor and inform them of the situation then decide whether you are prepared to move out before your house is ready. Or if you won’t take that risk your buyer will just have to wait. And exchange and complete on the same day is now the norm anyway. We were told there was no other option available to us right up the chain. That might be best way to do this but your solicitor can advise.
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,546
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 August 2020 at 7:43AM
    Mickey666 said:
    Is it even possible to exchange contracts without a date?  That would mean the contract might never be fulfilled . . . a funny sort of contract.
    It also means you could lose your deposit. The norm is to have a long stop date, a date in the future by which the builder has to have completed everything or else the buyer can cancel and gets the deposit back.  This date could be a year or more in the future
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,546
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Personally I would not risk the sale for what could be a week or so staying with family or friends, Exchange by the end of the week, move yor stuff out and store it until you can move in to your new home. Yes that will cost more but if you exchange and complete on the same day you will need to book removals ahead of time and run the risk it doesn't happen and you still have to pay. As a buyer I would refuse to do this, the risk of complications is no greater with a couple of days between.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.