We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Exchanging without completion date

We had an offer on our house prior to COVID, and reserved a plot at a new development. Our solicitors have been very slow to get everything prepared for exchange, but we finally got there. However, we are now two weeks away from the proposed completion date (been given this both verbally and in a written email to our solicitor) and the builder won’t exchange with a completion date (with “serve notice” only) until a warranty certificate has been issued. We were told they would have the certificate a couple of days ago, but the building work was not complete enough for this to happen, and won’t be until the end of the week. This leaves us at 7 days until the proposed completion date! Our buyer has said they won’t exchange without a completion date, but are happy to wait until the end of the week to exchange contracts (although I’m unsure that gives them enough time to request funds?). They have been pretty understanding with the whole situation, but they have stated that they must move by the proposed completion date. I think the sale of our current home may fall through if we go beyond that.

We wondered if exchanging with our buyer with a date, then exchanging with the seller without a date is a good idea, or are we leaving ourselves too vulnerable? We could move in with family short term (maximum a couple of weeks) but this would be very worst case scenario, as we have two young children in what would be a small house. Also I’m not sure how well my partner would cope with that! Is this is the best way to ensure that everything goes through, or is it better to wait until we have a warranty certificate and a completion date from our builder?

Thanks very much for reading!
«1

Comments

  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ermmm it sounds like your house isn’t built yet...
    Your buyers are ready to exchange and complete on your house but you cannot move into your new house because it’s not ready. First you need to ask the developer when your house will be ready to complete on and move into. This may be a few days after the proposed completion date in which case I’m sure you can negotiate with your buyers.

    if it is longer then your options are a) persuade your buyers to wait....b) sell to your buyers and rent or whatever till yours is ready c) hope your buyers hang around till you are ready...

    Our solicitors wouldn’t let us exchange ahead of completion in COVID world, in fact they said under no circumstances would they do that, whole chain was told the same by different conveyancers too. Still would need a target completion date agreeing which means you need to find out when your property will be ready...but gets around the developer not wanting to exchange with a date.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,777
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It sounds like you understand all the risks - so it's up to you how much of a risk you're willing to take.

    Presumably, if you move in with family, you'll have to arrange storage for your furniture - plus two lots of removals.

    There's also the risk that the new house fails it's final NHBC inspection, so no certificate is issued and it needs months of rectification work (but that's probably unlikely). But you need to think about what 'long-stop' date you want in the contract.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 15 August 2020 at 11:35PM
    Proposed completion date is just that proposed. As you've experienced nothing can be set in stone until actual events unfold. A new completion date can be agreed between all the parties once it's appropriate to do so. 
  • Yes, it is possible. I believe it’s fairly common for new builds? They can issue a “long stop” contract where they serve notice to their buyer closer to the completion date, but if they fail to complete within an agreed, longer time-frame it is no longer valid.

     
  • The above was in response to Micky, by the way!
  • Just reading through some of the replies now, thanks for responding.


  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,777
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mickey666 said:
    Is it even possible to exchange contracts without a date?  

    Yep - it's very usual with new builds.

    iwb100 said:
    First you need to ask the developer when your house will be ready to complete on and move into. 

    Presumably, the builder cannot be 100% sure. Not least because it has to pass the NHBC final inspection before completion can occur. 

  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    eddddy said:
    Mickey666 said:
    Is it even possible to exchange contracts without a date?  

    Yep - it's very usual with new builds.

    iwb100 said:
    First you need to ask the developer when your house will be ready to complete on and move into. 

    Presumably, the builder cannot be 100% sure. Not least because it has to pass the NHBC final inspection before completion can occur. 

    They might not know the date but they know how far along the build is....do you know where build is up to? 
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,777
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    iwb100 said:
    They might not know the date but they know how far along the build is....do you know where build is up to? 

    The OP says:

    LigerMule said:
    We were told they would have the certificate a couple of days ago, but the building work was not complete enough for this to happen, and won’t be until the end of the week. 

    So it's likely to be issues like 'the electrician didn't turn up for a couple of days last week' or 'the plumber dropped the toilet cistern, and we're waiting for a new one to be delivered' or 'the kitchen supplier delivered the wrong colour worktop' or 'the ceiling in the bathroom is bumpy and needs re-plastering, but all the plasterers are busy on other sites'.

    And the builder can't be sure whether it will take 2 days, 7 days or 14 days or 21 days to get the issues fixed, and to arrange an NHBC inspector's visit.
  • Not been inside the property for around three weeks, but things looked promising at that point. The kitchen was starting to be installed and the bathrooms fitted. My husband drove on site today and from the outside just appears to be the fencing, garage door and driveway. 

    The builders keep promising us we will be moving on this date, we have booked a home demo for two days prior. We will be on the phone on Monday chasing, and it is quite possible that we could ask to go inside also to check on progress.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.