PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Retaining wall collapsed whilst viewing!

Options

Comments

• diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jen_79 said:
    Have you started having sleepless nights about the falling wall? That trauma could stop you working 
    Not quite, definitely worried about it! I've no idea how much it costs to replace, if it's thousands it would eat into the funds I've put aside to buy a house which will take me a couple of months to save back up.
    My point is you may be suffering from trauma and want compensating.......? 
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    AW618 said:
    Davesnave said:
    AW618 said:
    Scotbot said:
    Ignore them, and if you are taking a break from house hunting block their number. The house is clearly not well maintained and the owner is an jn reasonable person to deal with so you are wise not to pursue the house.
    Oh, !!!!!! off, you moron.  She has a number of reasons not to worry about this, the main one being "what financial loss has your client suffered", but you have such a limited understanding of anything that you just need tto keep your stupid mouth shut.
    This is a forum where everyone is entitled to post, so if their opinion upsets you, it's probably best to leave the thread rather than unleash verbal invective which might have come from of Harry Enfield's Kevin.

If you think that that repeating the same thing you have said before, while ignoring any points that have been made to suggest what you said before is nonsense, is useful, I would suggest you look deep into your soul aand ask yourself what the point of you is.
    He has said something.
    I have made a point as to why he is wrong.
    He has not engaged with that but simply restated his opinion.
    He is entitled to do that, I am entitled to tell him what a !!!!!! he is.
    Engage with people who disagree with you if you think you have a valid opinion.

Do you need some love? %$%£* ON A forum doesn't make your opinion any more important or valid. 
    Maybe being a stranger on a forum is not for you, if you get upset so easily.
    Have you tried Mums net?

"It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Vasquez65
    Vasquez65 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mumsnet ? 🤣
    If you think MN is fluffy and gentle you’ve obviously never used it - they would eat you alive. 
    It’s not called Viper’s net for nothing 😉   
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Vasquez65 said:
    Mumsnet ? 🤣
    If you think MN is fluffy and gentle you’ve obviously never used it - they would eat you alive. 
    I have been banned before on there for telling people to pull themselves together. But then I am not a mum...or female. You ok hun?
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 August 2020 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Vasquez65 said:
    Mumsnet ? 🤣
    Really I didn't know that...... shock/ horror, why can't internet strangers be friendly? [Sarcasm face]

Maybe they will like it there, since their with their own kind and they like to abuse each other
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Not even sure why the thread is continuing personally - as in "Vendor is an obvious try-on merchant - just ignore", followed by the estate agent that rang vendor is an obvious wimp for not cutting short vendors comments on this at the outset and shouldnt have relayed them to the viewer (but, presumably, was too young/inexperienced to tell vendor where to get off themselves - and so is trying to shove responsibility for a verbal cut-off at OP).

In OP's position - I'd just be a bit wary of seeing any other properties marketed with that same EA (as they didn't cut vendor off the second they started being so unreasonable) and then forget it. The End.

• Jeepers_Creepers
    Options
    As much as the EA seemingly (almost certainly) deserves to not have your business, Jen, that would be counter-productive if they happen to be the ones listing the most suitable homes for you in your area. I suggest the OP carries on as normal, and even continues to chase this house if it remains a goer.

If the EA is crazy enough to bring up the matter again, just laugh it off with a "You must be joking - your client is lucky he didn't have action taken against him - or you, for that matter."

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Searching for a house is essentially a business activity, so you are not there to morally judge the EA or their client; you're trying to get the best deal for yourself. If the client or EA happen to come out with a load of old cobblers in a situation like this, that's unfortunate, but you must try and minimise the damage to any transaction you'd hope to engage in. Taking umbrage and flouncing off, threatening never to darken the EA's door again won't achieve anything positive for you.

• John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I bought a house years ago with wobbly and poorly finished bits outside, and then spent years discovering all manner of bodged and dangerous fixes inside (earth wire re-purposed as live...) And would now never, ever buy a place with the issue you describe. I feel now that people who let a wall get into that state will also nail water piles into place, “fix” plumbing with tape, and use waterproof paint in a room where the roof leaks.

My current home has been built to a really high standard, cost no more than the bodge-jobs which I viewed, and the peace of mind that comes with knowing that everything’s been done right is just huge.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 August 2020 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Scotbot said:
    Scotbot said:
    woah!! 
    During viewing, its normal to open kitchen cupboards, windows, closet doors, built in wardrobes etc. If the door comes off in your hand, are you liable to pay for it? This is ridiculous!
    Pretty sure its not normal (or polite) to open people's wardrobes and drawers on a viewing actually!  

Yes it is, but it is polite to ask.  Kitchens and wardrobes are expensive to replace, you need to see whether the storage is adequate. My first house the kitchen looked great but when I moved in and opened the cupboards I realised they were much shallower than standard. Never made that mistake again. 
     I check these things out on second viewing, unless they are so dated they clearly need to be replaced, but I always ask permission first if the vendor is there.

If you can't tell how big a cupboard is from the outside I think that's what you should work on. 

I had buyers open my underwear drawers and the drawers in my bedside table once on a second viewing I was not present for.  Suffice to say I was very very unimpressed, if it wasn't for the fact that it would have hurt me more than them I would have been very tempted to refuse to sell to them. 
    If you weren't there how would you know? 
    Stuff had moved, and some drawers were left half open.

You don't think sellers are entitled to maintain the privacy of the contents of their bedroom storage?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback