URGENT, should I take my best friend to A&E?

She's just rang me to say she wants to commit suicide tonight but the only thing that may stop her are her 2 children. She had suicidal thoughts before, only confides in me. She has a suicide plan. Should I just drive round to her house and make her come in my car and take her to A&E?? I'm really worried about her.
If she gets admitted to hospital and push comes to shove, I could probably have her children until shes out. I don't know what I would do about work though. I could probably go round and stay the night at hers to make sure she's ok.

Comments

• Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I was thinking going round the house, stay the night and talk.
    Find out what is really bothered her.  You may have to do all the talking or you may have to just sit there and listen to her do all the talking.
    It's a delicate situation and a situation I would hate to be in.
    A lot of people are depressed with the current situation, some of us can cope, some of us just about coping and some of us are having thoughts like your friend.
    Maybe call the suicide hotline before you go, explain the situation to them and see what they suggest.
    Be prepared for a long night.
  • Socajam said:
    I was thinking going round the house, stay the night and talk.
    Find out what is really bothered her.  You may have to do all the talking or you may have to just sit there and listen to her do all the talking.
    It's a delicate situation and a situation I would hate to be in.
    A lot of people are depressed with the current situation, some of us can cope, some of us just about coping and some of us are having thoughts like your friend.
    Maybe call the suicide hotline before you go, explain the situation to them and see what they suggest.
    Be prepared for a long night.
    I'm going to go and stay the night but will encourage her to go to A&E.
  • Lour_2
    Lour_2 Posts: 13
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you need to go round too. & take her to A&E if she continues saying she wants to commit suicide. It’ll be tough. 
  • Lour_2 said:
    I think you need to go round too. & take her to A&E if she continues saying she wants to commit suicide. It’ll be tough. 
    I'm literally about to leave now to go to hers.
  • SootySweep1
    SootySweep1 Posts: 202
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi
    Google 24 hour mental health crisis line and ring them
    Jen
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can phone the Samaritans even if she doesn't want to. 

In that situation, I'd want someone else to know where I was, someone I could call if I felt overwhelmed myself. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Ted_Head
    Ted_Head Posts: 946
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    To be honest - you're not medically trained are you? All you can be is a sticking plaster. She needs help over the long term from someone who can provide her with tools that she is in dire need of. If she is making a habit of telling you her thoughts on suicide then she does obviously need help. Try the out of hours NHS service. They should at least get a CPN out.
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What happened?

Is her wish personal (her own problems) or political (eg Lockdown)?
  • Sorry for not replying sooner, took her to A&E on the night. Shes ended up sectioned in hospital so her children are staying at mine.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback