Boiler repair seller dispute

Options
hi
i have had an issue with the boiler in my new home. To his credit the seller sent a contractor to assess and repair the fault ( a new fan was fitted). At this point the boiler appeared to work as it should albeit a bit loudly. I am currently seeing out the end of my tenancy in my rented flat so therefore I am not at the new hone often at the moment. On my next visit 9 days after the engineer attended I went over to test the boiler only to find that it would not pressurise or provide heating or hot water. When I asked the seller to remedy this  ongoing  issue he declined stating that as I had highlighted the issue 9 days after the work was carried out he was no longer liable for the fix. Can anyone clear this up for me please. PS based in Scotland 

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 August 2020 at 11:14PM
    Options
    More one for the house buying/selling board (as was mentioned on your duplicate thread) as this isn't to do with consumer rights but anyway...
    What was the original "issue"? Did your missives include the usual warranty that the heating would be in working order? (which doesn't necessarily mean there won't be "issues" of some sort). And if so, did you intimate the fault via your solicitor within the time limit (generally 5 working days from the date of entry)? A delay in you realising that the seller's contractor hasn't fixed a fault doesn't mean you don't still have the rights you did, as long as you originally notified them in time.
  • rkeenan
    rkeenan Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry I didn’t mean to duplicate this but thanks for replying. Yes the  issue was raised within the 5 day period via my solicitor. He recommended the seller and I arranged for an engineer directly with each other. The engineer came
    initially to assess the boiler then a second time to fit the new part. After which the boiler worked. However as I said I am staying in my rented accommodation until the end of Lease. There was a clause stating that any repair under £400 would be incurred by the purchaser so at present he is trying to get me to reimburse him for the repairs £230. However I consider to repairs to be incomplete 
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The original poster now has 3 identical threads. 

You are wasting your time answering this one 

They are now getting advice on the correct part of the forum
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills