New Post Advanced Search

Which Antivirus?

20 replies 465 views
shezza2shezza2 Forumite
181 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Hi all can anyone recommend an antivirus for Windows 10 preferably one I can buy from a retailer and NOT have to give over my credit details to activate it. Reason being the Norton I have has gone up from £24.99 to £79.99!!!! 

Replies

• SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not just use the built-in one for free?
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    yes, Windows Defender should do, unless you are using naughty sites?
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• edited 1 August at 4:29PM
    RumRatRumRat Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 August at 4:29PM
    Don't spend anything....Windows defender built into W10 is all you need AV wise. Then download Malwarebytes free to do the occasional scan for other things.
    You can download a tool from the web to uninstall the Norton nasties completely.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    shezza2 said:
    Hi all can anyone recommend an antivirus for Windows 10 preferably one I can buy from a retailer and NOT have to give over my credit details to activate it. Reason being the Norton I have has gone up from £24.99 to £79.99!!!! 

Don't choose to "auto renew".  You can get new Norton subscriptions/licences (if you must use Norton) for far cheaper than buying a new one if you look on Amazon and eBay.  At time of writing, £13.15 on Amazon, Norton standard 2020.

But of course there is no real need to buy for most users.
  • Rodders53Rodders53 Forumite
    917 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Or use another free AV with a slightly better rep than MicroSoft's (but it is far better than it used to be)?
    Avast (free)
    Bitdefender, the free version (which I use currently)
    etc.,.

Norton will need uninstalling with 3rd party software from what I've read or it leaves things behind.
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere in the depths of Norton account settings you will find the tick box option to cancel auto renew.

If you haven't already done so, do it now and then follow the post from RumRat above. 
  • desktopdesktop Forumite
    45 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    If you want Norton, you can buy the latest 360 10 user for about £20 from Ebay.
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like kaspersky. It can usually be found cheap on amazon. You dont get a disc, you get a card with a code and use that to validate it when you download and install it from their website. Note though if you havent had it before you dont need to put the code in immediately because they offer a months free trial. So make sure you choose that first. If you make the mistake of putting your code in first its bye bye to the free month.
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why advise someone to pay anything? There really is no need........Unless the OP is considering delving into unknown depths of the interweb...... :open_mouth:
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Highland76Highland76 Forumite
    380 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    RumRat said:
    Why advise someone to pay anything? There really is no need........Unless the OP is considering delving into unknown depths of the interweb...... :open_mouth:
    Believe it or not, there are other paid AVs (which don't cost a small fortune) which perform better than Microsoft's Window defender - not that WD provides insufficient protection. Have a look at the independent test site av-comparatives to see for yourself:
    https://www.av-comparatives.org/

OP, 
    Norton can be bought for £10-£15 from Amazon for a new fresh licence. No need to pay silly autorenew prices.