Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Private Let In Scotland With Housing Benefits

New Post Advanced Search

Private Let In Scotland With Housing Benefits

15 replies 474 views
Hi guys im hoping you can advise me on this one as my housing case worker has went on annual leave and will not be responding to my emails very often.
I am homeless and im renting a temporary apartment which im funding by myself as i dont want to go into emergency accommodation which would destroy me with my mental health issues.
When i spoke face to face with my housing officer i was talking about the possibilities of a private let, i was told the housing benefit is 400 a month in Glasgow and if i were to go into a private let i would need to pay the first months rent as well as the deposit. She also said i could get something more expensive than the 400pm but i would need to pay the difference. I was then thinking of going for a small house for about 600pm. Then a week later via email i was asking her how to go about things and she told me a landlord would not accept me on housing benefit if the property was say 600pm. So i still dont know what the truth actually is. Do i have to find a property using the 400pm which means a small flat? I hope you guys can shed some light on this.

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys im hoping you can advise me on this one as my housing case worker has went on annual leave and will not be responding to my emails very often.
    I am homeless and im renting a temporary apartment which im funding by myself as i dont want to go into emergency accommodation which would destroy me with my mental health issues.
    When i spoke face to face with my housing officer i was talking about the possibilities of a private let, i was told the housing benefit is 400 a month in Glasgow and if i were to go into a private let i would need to pay the first months rent as well as the deposit. She also said i could get something more expensive than the 400pm but i would need to pay the difference. I was then thinking of going for a small house for about 600pm. Then a week later via email i was asking her how to go about things and she told me a landlord would not accept me on housing benefit if the property was say 600pm. So i still dont know what the truth actually is. Do i have to find a property using the 400pm which means a small flat? I hope you guys can shed some light on this.

It's entirely your decision what you do but you will only receive the local housing allowance for your circumstances in the area you're looking for. Put your postcode in here and it will tell you how much. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    If you're under 35 and don't claim a disability such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care and you live alone then you will only receive the shared rate of LHA. Otherwise, it's the 1 bedroom rate.
    If your rent is higher than the amount you're entitled to then you will have to pay the difference but can you afford to do this? Do you work or claim benefits? If so which ones?
    It is very difficult across most of the country to find a landlord that will accept those claiming benefits. There are a few that will but do be aware you maybe asked for a guarantor.

• mystic_bertiemystic_bertie Forumite
    592 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭

It's entirely your decision what you do but you will only receive the local housing allowance for your circumstances in the area you're looking for. Put your postcode in here and it will tell you how much. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    If you're under 35 and don't claim a disability such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care and you live alone then you will only receive the shared rate of LHA. Otherwise, it's the 1 bedroom rate.
    If your rent is higher than the amount you're entitled to then you will have to pay the difference but can you afford to do this? Do you work or claim benefits? If so which ones?
    It is very difficult across most of the country to find a landlord that will accept those claiming benefits. There are a few that will but do be aware you maybe asked for a guarantor.

Thanks for the link to the housing allowance, strangely i was told im allowed 400 a month but that suggests i should get more. Im 50 year old and live alone.
    I was self employed and im getting 575 a month for the coronavirus job retention scheme, i can claim that until the end of Oct. Then im told i will get the standard amount from UC. I was told to claim for UC so that i can receive the housing benefit just now. I dont have any other income or benefits. I have some of my own money that i can use to pay the difference for the rent. My issue is that im unlikely to find a landlord who will take me on if the rent is over and above the housing allowance. I dont think i can get a guarantor.
    The housing officer gave me a list of agencies that are dss friendly but to be honest the flat are of a poor standard.
  • edited 1 August at 6:44PM
    poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 August at 6:44PM
    You will need to use a benefits calculator to check how much UC you'll be entitled to. Your earnings that you receive each month will reduce your UC by 63% and this will include any help with the rent because it's all 1 single monthly payment. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=0e34d49d-c601-4559-bf76-ce5c5cf5247f

9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You say you have some of your own money. If you have savings/capital of £16,000 and over then you'll be excluded from claim UC and any other means tested benefits. Savings of under £16,000 and more than £6,000 will see a reduction of £4.35 per month for every £250 (or part there of) over than amount.
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although that has very recently been ruled as unlawful it is difficult to see how this can be enforced.
    https://blog.shelter.org.uk/2020/07/no-dss-landmark-court-ruling declares housing-benefit discrimination is unlawful /
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    calcotti said:
    Although that has very recently been ruled as unlawful it is difficult to see how this can be enforced.
    https://blog.shelter.org.uk/2020/07/no-dss-landmark-court-ruling declares housing-benefit discrimination is unlawful /

Yes i did see that a few days ago, although i was confused  because i thought this came out quite sometime ago. My opinion is they will just remove the words "No DSS"
    592 posts
    ✭✭
    You say you have some of your own money. If you have savings/capital of £16,000 and over then you'll be excluded from claim UC and any other means tested benefits. Savings of under £16,000 and more than £6,000 will see a reduction of £4.35 per month for every £250 (or part there of) over than amount.
    Thanks for the link to the benefits calculator, the money team at the citizens advice told me i would get 20 a month over and about the 575 im currently receiving, that will change come the end of Oct. 

I did not know that any savings were affected in that way. Thats shocking. I was just thinking i could sell my car and have a few grand in the bank, that way i could fund have s lightly better place to stay.
    592 posts
    ✭✭
    calcotti said:
    Thanks for sharing that link, that will explain why all the adverts on gumtree and rightmove or letting agent sites dont say 'no dss' so it looks like they are following the ruling. It just makes me wonder if they will find another way of rejecting you. I guess you cant force them to take you on.
    9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link to the benefits calculator, the money team at the citizens advice told me i would get 20 a month over
    Not sure what they mean by that.
    As you're single and over 25 then you'll be entitled to £409.89 per month standard allowance. Then your housing element on top of that.
    However, your earnings received during your assessment period will reduce the amount of UC you're entitled to and with earnings of £575 this means your UC will reduce by £362.25 per month.
    Do be aware that there's also a 5 week wait for your first payment. You can request an advance payment but this will need to be repaid back from future UC payments.
    592 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link to the benefits calculator, the money team at the citizens advice told me i would get 20 a month over
    Not sure what they mean by that.
    As you're single and over 25 then you'll be entitled to £409.89 per month standard allowance. Then your housing element on top of that.
    However, your earnings received during your assessment period will reduce the amount of UC you're entitled to and with earnings of £575 this means your UC will reduce by £362.25 per month.
    Do be aware that there's also a 5 week wait for your first payment. You can request an advance payment but this will need to be repaid back from future UC payments.
    Thanks for your reply. Im not sure why they said that but going by what you said i will get nearer to 47 pounds per month. 
    I will try and live without the advance if i can but thanks for informing me of this.
    Do you think this would work if i find a place that takes dss. If say i find a flat which i like for 500pm, i would need to pay the first months rent and the deposit in advance, if i then offered to pay the difference up front to cover the extra cost of the rent ie 6 months x 100 or what ever the difference is, if i covered the extra rent up front would they accept me?