Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

MSE misleading members on Broadband

New Post Advanced Search

MSE misleading members on Broadband

8 replies 362 views
I regularly recommend this MSE link for people to get a good deal on Broadband Internet,
moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/cheap-broadband/

it is bad enough that the market has decided it does not need to compete but it is very concerning to see the comment MSE puts below the so called BEST broadband deals
    Cheapest standard-speed b'band & line (10Mb+)
        Plusnet: equiv £13.83/mth
    Cheapest fast fibre & line (30Mb+)
        Plusnet: equiv £18.83/mth
    Cheapest superfast fibre & line (60Mb+)
        TalkTalk: equiv £20.56/mth

To benchmark, those out-of-contract typically pay BT £52/mth and Virgin £44/mth for fibre.

With 2.3 million on Universal Credit and 9 million on furlough which is reducing now so many more expected to be made redundant plus
OFCOM says there are 14.1 million disabled people living in the UK, and one million with dementia. One in six adults experience common mental health problems every week, with 23% of people experiencing anxiety when dealing with service providers.

SOMETHING  is MISSING

What it SHOULD mention is

More broadband firms agree to cut prices for vulnerable and out-of-contract customers after Ofcom review

moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/07/out-of-contract-broadband-customers-could-save-millions-under-of/
Apparently deals of £5 a month can be obtained if you fall into the right groups and right now that is the vast majority.

But the page above confuses readers by saying

Remember, ultimately the best deals go to those who check if they could save by switching. Compare the best deals in your area with our  Broadband Unbundled tool.

WELL THIS IS NONSENSE

IF over 10m people can get a £5 deal by telling suppliers then this should be mentioned on every page

It is like a salesman not telling you about a cheaper deal they hope you have not noticed but are entitled to.

I would expect to see a bright yellow bar showing this on every broadband page

Come one MSE you used to be on the side of the consumer, by all means mention the poor deals you earn commission on but make it very clear what is available and stop misleading people.

Replies

• edited 1 August at 4:11PM
    Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 1 August at 4:11PM
    A similar article was published by "The Converstion" not so long ago but I do not share your outrage.

Law of averages? We only save because so many people have an inertia towards switching. Providers are making money from them, middlemen too, so its a case of swings and roundabouts.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • jean17jean17 Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    So if everyone was looting you would just say "everyone is looting and I am I alright jack" 

• ChinoChino Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    jean17 said:
    So if everyone was looting you would just say "everyone is looting and I am I alright jack"
    Straw man
  • phillwphillw Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jean17 said:
    Apparently deals of £5 a month can be obtained if you fall into the right groups and right now that is the vast majority.

Are you sure it's the vast majority?
     "BT will provide a one-off automatic price reduction for vulnerable customers (such as people with learning or communication difficulties or those suffering physical or mental illness or bereavement) who are out of contract on more expensive deals."

• Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    jean17 said:

Certainly not: what you describe in your OP is corporate advantage taken of the tragedy of the commons. Ponder on that a while.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • jean17jean17 Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    jean17 said:

Certainly not: what you describe in your OP is corporate advantage taken of the tragedy of the commons. Ponder on that a while.
    I would need a translation into English
  • SonOfPearlSonOfPearl Forumite
    116 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Tragedy of the Commons - The tragedy of the commons is a situation in a shared-resource system where individual users, acting independently according to their own self-interest, behave contrary to the common good of all users (Wikipedia).
  • jean17jean17 Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks, so we are all selfish bar stewards