New Post Advanced Search

Ryanair bereavement refund

9 replies 191 views
My mother passed away 2 months ago.  As we were due to have a family holiday in August we are unable and no longer desire to go due to my mums passing. I completed online a refund form and attached the death certificate but have not heard anything not even a confirmation email to state they have recieved my request for full cash refund. My booking has vanished from my dashboard and I am unable to speak to anyone at Ryanair. Has anyone got any advice? Thank you.

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    73K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it's probably buried in an inbox that's progreesively being worked through. The refund may have to go through several stages before payment is actually made. Social distancing etc has been office administration work extremely challenging. 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly you need to get this moved to the holiday board , secondly Ryanair don’t have to refund you, they might do as a goodwill gesture but you are probably better off using your holiday insurance. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I do not think you are due a refund. Unless your late mother was your carer, there is nothing actually stopping you travelling, you are just choosing not to travel and airlines generally will not refund in such circumstances.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    554 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I do not think you are due a refund. Unless your late mother was your carer, there is nothing actually stopping you travelling, you are just choosing not to travel and airlines generally will not refund in such circumstances.
    That's a bit harsh. And not strictly true. What about coronavirus stopping travel for a start? Ryanair actually DO have a policy of issuing full refunds for flights if a family member (even if they are not travelling with the passengers) dies. But people have to claim within 28 days, which appears this OP did.
    554 posts
    ✭✭
    mop123 said:
    My mother passed away 2 months ago.  As we were due to have a family holiday in August we are unable and no longer desire to go due to my mums passing. I completed online a refund form and attached the death certificate but have not heard anything not even a confirmation email to state they have recieved my request for full cash refund. My booking has vanished from my dashboard and I am unable to speak to anyone at Ryanair. Has anyone got any advice? Thank you.
    I'm also very sorry for your loss. I think you should just keep on trying to contact Ryanair because they do state that you can get a full refund if someone dies, even if they are not travelling with you. It appears that you applied in time, so they should do a full refund for you. I think all airlines are super busy now, especially after the recent news about travelling to Spain so just hang in there. I'm sure it will all come good. You might even be able to also claim from your travel insurance but as Ryanair says they will refund in full, just keep on keeping on. All the best, it's an awful time x
    554 posts
    ✭✭
    soolin said:
    Firstly you need to get this moved to the holiday board , secondly Ryanair don’t have to refund you, they might do as a goodwill gesture but you are probably better off using your holiday insurance. 
    Not very kind, especially as someone has just lost their mum. I'm sure it doesn't matter which board this is posted on either. Ryanair actually DO have a policy of refund in full in this kind of case. 
  • edited 1 August at 6:02PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    20.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 August at 6:02PM
    From Ryanair.com -
    "Death of an immediate family member who is not travelling:

At Ryanair, we try to make the process as seamless as possible during this difficult time for the family.

If you have already started your journey and are affected by an immediate family bereavement, contact our call centre and we will work with you to arrange a quick return journey.

If you have been affected by a bereavement of an immediate member of your family within 28 days of your intended flight date and you do not wish to travel, we will provide a full refund upon application".

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/disruptions-and-refunds/refunds

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalMonroe said:
    Sorry for your loss.

That's a bit harsh. And not strictly true. What about coronavirus stopping travel for a start? Ryanair actually DO have a policy of issuing full refunds for flights if a family member (even if they are not travelling with the passengers) dies. But people have to claim within 28 days, which appears this OP did.
    Factual - yes, harsh - no. We're not talking about coronavirus, we're talking about bereavement. The OP does not state when they sent their claim in, so I cannot see it was within 28 days and in any case the bereavement has to be within 28 days of the date of the intended flight, which this wasn't. So I'm afraid it is your post that is not strictly true.
  • haras_n0sirrahharas_n0sirrah Forumite
    383 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It looks to me as though the death has to be within 1 month of the flight. If your mother sadly passed 2 months ago (so 3 months before the flight) you may not be entitled to a refund. I would check with your insurance as a back up incase you cannot get a refund. I am sorry for your loss 
    I am a mortgage advisor