Ryanair bereavement refund

My mother passed away 2 months ago.  As we were due to have a family holiday in August we are unable and no longer desire to go due to my mums passing. I completed online a refund form and attached the death certificate but have not heard anything not even a confirmation email to state they have recieved my request for full cash refund. My booking has vanished from my dashboard and I am unable to speak to anyone at Ryanair. Has anyone got any advice? Thank you.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Unfortunately it's probably buried in an inbox that's progreesively being worked through. The refund may have to go through several stages before payment is actually made. Social distancing etc has been office administration work extremely challenging. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Firstly you need to get this moved to the holiday board , secondly Ryanair don’t have to refund you, they might do as a goodwill gesture but you are probably better off using your holiday insurance. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I do not think you are due a refund. Unless your late mother was your carer, there is nothing actually stopping you travelling, you are just choosing not to travel and airlines generally will not refund in such circumstances.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I do not think you are due a refund. Unless your late mother was your carer, there is nothing actually stopping you travelling, you are just choosing not to travel and airlines generally will not refund in such circumstances.
    That's a bit harsh. And not strictly true. What about coronavirus stopping travel for a start? Ryanair actually DO have a policy of issuing full refunds for flights if a family member (even if they are not travelling with the passengers) dies. But people have to claim within 28 days, which appears this OP did.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    mop123 said:
    My mother passed away 2 months ago.  As we were due to have a family holiday in August we are unable and no longer desire to go due to my mums passing. I completed online a refund form and attached the death certificate but have not heard anything not even a confirmation email to state they have recieved my request for full cash refund. My booking has vanished from my dashboard and I am unable to speak to anyone at Ryanair. Has anyone got any advice? Thank you.
    I'm also very sorry for your loss. I think you should just keep on trying to contact Ryanair because they do state that you can get a full refund if someone dies, even if they are not travelling with you. It appears that you applied in time, so they should do a full refund for you. I think all airlines are super busy now, especially after the recent news about travelling to Spain so just hang in there. I'm sure it will all come good. You might even be able to also claim from your travel insurance but as Ryanair says they will refund in full, just keep on keeping on. All the best, it's an awful time x
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    soolin said:
    Firstly you need to get this moved to the holiday board , secondly Ryanair don’t have to refund you, they might do as a goodwill gesture but you are probably better off using your holiday insurance. 
    Not very kind, especially as someone has just lost their mum. I'm sure it doesn't matter which board this is posted on either. Ryanair actually DO have a policy of refund in full in this kind of case. 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 August 2020 at 6:02PM
    From Ryanair.com -
    "Death of an immediate family member who is not travelling:

At Ryanair, we try to make the process as seamless as possible during this difficult time for the family.

If you have already started your journey and are affected by an immediate family bereavement, contact our call centre and we will work with you to arrange a quick return journey.

If you have been affected by a bereavement of an immediate member of your family within 28 days of your intended flight date and you do not wish to travel, we will provide a full refund upon application".

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/disruptions-and-refunds/refunds

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MalMonroe said:
    Sorry for your loss.

That's a bit harsh. And not strictly true. What about coronavirus stopping travel for a start? Ryanair actually DO have a policy of issuing full refunds for flights if a family member (even if they are not travelling with the passengers) dies. But people have to claim within 28 days, which appears this OP did.
    Factual - yes, harsh - no. We're not talking about coronavirus, we're talking about bereavement. The OP does not state when they sent their claim in, so I cannot see it was within 28 days and in any case the bereavement has to be within 28 days of the date of the intended flight, which this wasn't. So I'm afraid it is your post that is not strictly true.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • haras_n0sirrah
    haras_n0sirrah Posts: 1,339 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    It looks to me as though the death has to be within 1 month of the flight. If your mother sadly passed 2 months ago (so 3 months before the flight) you may not be entitled to a refund. I would check with your insurance as a back up incase you cannot get a refund. I am sorry for your loss 
  • MalMonroe said:
    Sorry for your loss.

Factual - yes, harsh - no. We're not talking about coronavirus, we're talking about bereavement. The OP does not state when they sent their claim in, so I cannot see it was within 28 days and in any case the bereavement has to be within 28 days of the date of the intended flight, which this wasn't. So I'm afraid it is your post that is not strictly true.
    Trip scheduled 12th August to Spain.  My mother was a passenger on the intended trip.  I was within the timeframe. When I requested refund my original booking vanished from my dashboard so could not not even change  the flights to the next year.. In response to your comment 'there is nothing stopping you from travelling' I would add that the loss of my mother Is not considered as 'nothing'  and before you state that Ryanair would not entertain that comment or go in to the logistics of policies... may I remind you that Rtanair removed my booking making it impossible to amend booking. I know you might be trying to help with your factual comments but be mindful of how it sounds in text form. You gain no favours by sounding superior. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback