PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Best buying options for 40 yr old with modest savings?

Options
As someone who delayed the idea of homeowning until now (age 40), I've decided I want to work toward getting out of renting - ie. "dead money" I can't get back - and buying my own property. Although I am not in debt, my savings (everything I have) are fairly modest at £9000 (with an aim to keep saving more), and I feel this is pocket-change when it comes to a deposit or mortgage.

I've just read that LISA mortgages cut-off at 40, so that option's out of the picture (I did look into LISA's last year, but didn't plan to apply there and then). I also have the looming prospect of trying to pay off that mortgage before retirement. I am in full-time work, but with things as they presently are - rising house prices vs dwindling job security - getting a mortgage almost seems a bit of a gamble. I've even considered the prospect of a mobile home or something else that won't require such an upfront commitment. It's a shame trailer-parks aren't more common in the UK, as that would be a viable option.

At this point, I'm stuck on my options. I need "pre-mortgage" advice to steer me toward choosing a housing option that matches my needs. Is this something i would need to get from a Financial Advisor? Or can a Mortgage Adviser help, even though I am not yet ready to apply for one (I assumed I would need to be at the stage of applying)?

Comments

• se2020
    se2020 Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Basically you will need a 10% deposit plus a few grand for legal fees and moving costs.

The LISA is not a mortgage, it's a savings account, if you paid in £4k a year you would have got a £1k bonus per year to use towards a house purchase. It did need to be opened before a 40th birthday though. The £4k is a maximum amount so you have only missed out on £2250 of bonus so far.

Have a look at rightmove to see what sort of prices the type of housing you would like would be and then put up some numbers on here (house price, your income etc) and then you can get some advice on how achievable it is.

You can buy a mobile home for a few grand but buying a plot of land with planning permission to park it on is not going to happen. There are plenty of holiday park type places about that sell homes permently but lenders do not like giving mortgages on them so you would need a lot more deposit to buy one of those.
  • moneysavinghero
    moneysavinghero Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mobile homes are not that much cheaper than houses, and usually only for over 50's.

£9,000 deposit is going to get you a max property value of £90,000 (provided you earn at least £20k. Are houses in the 90k price bracket ones you would be willing to live in? You have over 25 years to pay it off, so that's not a problem.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...renting - ie. "dead money" I can't get back
    <groan>
    Not this again...

It's not "dead money". It's paying for a service. Accommodation. Zero-hassle flexible accommodation, with no unexpected costs.
  • brett19852010
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    <groan>
    Not this again...

It's not "dead money". It's paying for a service. Accommodation. Zero-hassle flexible accommodation, with no unexpected costs.
    Add to this that the portion of interest on a high LTV mortgage can be eye watering too.
    I suggest to get married to someone with similar deposit and also may enable you to save more. It can be much easier to achieve based on two incomes.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    <groan>
    Not this again...

I agree. It’s only dead money to me if you are able to comfortably afford a property but chose to rent, and even then only a portion would be dead money as all home owners know owning a house costs money for maintenance.

When I was renting for years I just didn’t like knowing I was paying my landlords mortgage, it gave me a kick up the back side to get on the property ladder. But once owning a house you have more worry, less flexibility, other costs such as mortgage and repairs. Everyone has different needs and views.

OP you don’t necessarily need a mortgage advisor as you can use the internet yourself, but it may not hurt to see one to kick it all off. 
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Mickygg said:
    AdrianC said:
    <groan>
    Not this again...

I agree. It’s only dead money to me if you are able to comfortably afford a property but chose to rent 
    Even then, you're choosing the flexibility of renting.

Nobody says leasing a car instead of buying one is "dead money".
  • bolwin1
    bolwin1 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AdrianC said:

Plenty of people say leasing a car is dead money, especially on car forums. I don't agree with them btw. There's also a big difference between paying for a depreciating asset & a (usually) appreciating one. John Paul Getty got it right (for most people) when he said “If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, lease it.”" 
  • AdrianC
    Options
    bolwin1 said:
    AdrianC said:
    Plenty of people say leasing a car is dead money, especially on car forums. I don't agree with them btw. There's also a big difference between paying for a depreciating asset & a (usually) appreciating one. John Paul Getty got it right (for most people) when he said “If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, lease it.”" 
    Makes you wonder why and how lease companies are profitable...
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    bolwin1 said:
    AdrianC said:
    They get them very cheap.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    bolwin1 said:
    AdrianC said:
    plus you never stop paying if your changing cars every 2-3 years, I try and buy only second hand cars, worth it in the long run
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure