Support our high street shops and save the planet

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lets get people shopping again in London .
    Stage one put up the congestion charge .

Amazon offer to bundle delivery on some orders i placed this week . 
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 August 2020 at 8:59AM
    Just one comment... not everything you buy online comes by courier van... some comes by Royal Mail and those deliveries are every day in any case and the end result is a postman dropped off nearby and he delivers by foot.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The vast majority of people want the ability to buy things as easy as possible. We all have to buy things, it is a necessary and often enjoyable part of life. I think online buying is the future ----and a good job too. But even if the grotty High Streets ever DO pick up, people will want ease of access for shopping. Everybody will always shop, just as night follows day. To suggest buying nothing is what Mr Spock would have called "malfunction : cannot find logical pathway".
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The vast majority of people want the ability to buy things as easy as possible. We all have to buy things, it is a necessary and often enjoyable part of life. I think online buying is the future ----and a good job too. But even if the grotty High Streets ever DO pick up, people will want ease of access for shopping. Everybody will always shop, just as night follows day. To suggest buying nothing is what Mr Spock would have called "malfunction : cannot find logical pathway".
    I have stopped buying things (other than food) unless I really, really need them, or the old one has worn out/is irreparable and even then could I do without it.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    I couldn't imagine a life without scores of things eg spending money on changes and improvements to my properties, without buying stocks and shares, without keeping people in employment, without buying gifts for my wife and family, without buying rare stamps, coins and paintings, without eating out, without travel, without having been to all the inhabited continents , without sponsoring under privileged children's education, without  "using" money as much as possible to do as much good as I possibly can from a position of good fortune.
    I feel so lucky----and though spending money is far from being the be all and end all, it don't arf make a huge difference to the quality of life ( and I do not mean only mine and my loved ones').
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I couldn't imagine a life without scores of things eg spending money on changes and improvements to my properties, without buying stocks and shares, without keeping people in employment, without buying gifts for my wife and family, without buying rare stamps, coins and paintings, without eating out, without travel, without having been to all the inhabited continents , without sponsoring under privileged children's education, without  "using" money as much as possible to do as much good as I possibly can from a position of good fortune.
    I feel so lucky----and though spending money is far from being the be all and end all, it don't arf make a huge difference to the quality of life ( and I do not mean only mine and my loved ones').
    You must be financially very well off. I am trailing you as have only been to 3 of the inhabited continents. Is going to Antarctica on your bucket list?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This is a very poor soapbox to be on. Deliveries from online companies are, for the most part, efficiently done and save on energy use but because one lazy journalist writes an article spouting nonsense it turns up on a thread like this. I order some wine online which was delivered today. The van that delivered it was punctual and had many other items on board for other customers. Indeed the email I receive often say something like "Your delivery will between time x and time y and you are customer 37 of 88"  I didn't drive 17 miles each way to the Majestic warehouse to pick up my wine. That, like many other of these sort of purchases saves time, effort and energy.
  • HollyTrees
    HollyTrees Posts: 63 Forumite
    Nice to have spare cash to spend. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    giraffe69 said:
    This is a very poor soapbox to be on. Deliveries from online companies are, for the most part, efficiently done and save on energy use but because one lazy journalist writes an article spouting nonsense it turns up on a thread like this. I order some wine online which was delivered today. The van that delivered it was punctual and had many other items on board for other customers. Indeed the email I receive often say something like "Your delivery will between time x and time y and you are customer 37 of 88"  I didn't drive 17 miles each way to the Majestic warehouse to pick up my wine. That, like many other of these sort of purchases saves time, effort and energy.
    I'd be interested to hear exactly what the OP heard.
    The OP of this thread started a thread about the best face masks (since deleted) based on something he/she heard on the radio.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback