Royal mail special delivery by 1pm guaranteed postal grey bag question ?.

I need to send a single baseball cap on thurs 30th july which must arrive by friday 31st july .
Its going from london to surrey .
I will use my local post office branch and at present was thinking of using  special delivery guaranteed by 1pm as the best option at £7.50 
My question is will the post office give me one of those free grey plastic bags for this or do I have to pack it up in my own  box or large letter envelope ?
Not sure how this works

Replies

• unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance. Both Rm and Parcelforce have withdrawn their next day guarantee . It's all best effort.
    https://www.royalmail.com/coronavirus
    https://www.parcelforce.com/coronavirus
  • edited 29 July 2020 at 8:38PM
    TOP_CATTOP_CAT Forumite
    340 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 29 July 2020 at 8:38PM
    Oh thats not positive news although it could be RM covering themselves and still doing ones best ie best effort as you say .
    Hope is all I have then.
    I will send it anyway 1st thing in the morning as the ebay buyer  and myself have no option .
    Do they still supply the grey bags in the post office for the Special Delivery by 1pm service ?
    Anyone know !
  • in_the_Cotswoldsin_the_Cotswolds Forumite
    816 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Special Delivery times for Royal Mail are as follows during CV19.  9am is now before 1pm same day.  And 1pm is now before next day 9pm. I've always delivered 1pm Special Delivery is the same day just not before 1pm. Although this depends on where they are on my round.
    They will give you a bag. I asked and got given various sizes.
  • mimi1234mimi1234 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    They normally have the grey bags if you are sending special delivery.  You normally have to ask for one and they bring one out of the back.  However, don't be too surprised if they have run out and have not had any deliveries.  I went for some 20p stamps and was told they hadn't had any in ages at 2 different PO's.  
  • TOP_CATTOP_CAT Forumite
    340 Posts
    ✭✭
    Appreciate the help above and new 1PM  timing explanations are really helpful as I will pass this on to the buyer .
     Ive been digging and actually found a larger RM 1PM  grey bag possibly a C4  or C3 bag  it doesnt say its size but if its too big it shouldnt matter ?
    If its wrong hopefully the PO will have another suitable size in branch .
    Im new to all this packing ,sizing and delivery type so the above advice has helped .

• Elmer_BeFuddledElmer_BeFuddled Forumite
    269 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    mimi1234 said:
    .........  I went for some 20p stamps and was told they hadn't had any in ages at 2 different PO's.  
    Yeah, I went to the PO the other day and they'd run out of penny blacks.  I must by stamps more often.
    I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.
  • edited 31 July 2020 at 1:59PM
    TOP_CATTOP_CAT Forumite
    340 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 31 July 2020 at 1:59PM
    The buyer messaged me saying received package before 1pm and is happy so RM,s best covid19 effort worked well .
    Im happy for the buyer as they paid the higher SD by 1pm cost

Now... how to camoflage one of these very light  SD 1pm grey poly bags for a std 2nd class large letter item ?

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    TOP_CAT said:
    The buyer messaged me saying received package before 1pm and is happy so RM,s best covid19 effort worked well .

Now... how to camoflage one of these very light  SD 1pm grey poly bags for a std 2nd class large letter item ?

I really wouldn’t misuse supplies, they take a dim view of it. Plenty of plastic mailing bags on eBay at very little cost. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • TOP_CATTOP_CAT Forumite
    340 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes I had thought of this as a bit naughty .
    Ive only really just discovered poly bags may be a better option and hadnt even considered them for large letter items vs paper bubble envelopes .
    Aside from this.. .
    Which magazine sent me a magazine in what looked a plastic bag... but it was made from potatoe starch or some such biodegradable !
    That opened my eyes I thought it was a very good effort at actually doing something positive .
  • in_the_Cotswoldsin_the_Cotswolds Forumite
    816 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    TOP_CAT said:

I've seen it done many a time.  I have to do a double take and look extra carefully to make sure it is being used as a "normal" parcel and has correct postage on it.  These were reused ones with everything crossed out.  I've sent some to be surcharged before now.