Changing Broadband but want to keep my 'phone number

Good morning. I am hoping one of you wise folks can help me. I am doing my annual switch to the cheapest Broadband provider. I've looked at NOW and John Lewis but they both say they 'may' need to change my phone number.  I have a BT number from years ago and am loathe to change it as I have elderly parents and friends who 'phone me regularly, and I am can see them trying to remember a new 'phone number as a huge obstacle. Does anyone know of any cheaper providers that will let me keep my number please? 

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of any that would change your phone number.
  • edited 29 July 2020 at 11:44AM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2020 at 11:44AM
    Number port should be possible, indeed in most cases Ofcom require it be available from the provider, but number port does seems to be something that can and frequently does go wrong, and if it does , getting the number you want becomes difficult, to the point where, if they from the onset they state ‘you may get a new number’ and the port is done wrong, rather that trying to sort it out, they simply  point at the T&C ‘s and say we didn’t guarantee to get your original number and just give you a new number , and that’s it, the only option then is to go with the original number provider , (if the number is that important)  but even that takes a little time.
    Some company’s seem worse that others when it comes to this ( simple search should highlight those that are worse, or at least those that are mentioned more that most as messing porting up ) ....have in mind, quite often the new company that has allocated a random number will blame the other company, this is just an excuse, the gaining company that lost the number should carry the blame, after all it’s that company that drives the orders through the system , not the company that is losing the customer.
  • feefeegaborfeefeegabor Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    iniltous said:
    Number port should be possible, indeed in most cases Ofcom require it be available from the provider, but number port does seems to be something that can and frequently does go wrong, and if it does , getting the number you want becomes difficult, to the point where, if they from the onset they state ‘you may get a new number’ and the port is done wrong, rather that trying to sort it out, they simply  point at the T&C ‘s and say we didn’t guarantee to get your original number and just give you a number they allocate, and that’s it, the only option then is to go with the original number provider , if the number is that important, but even that takes a little time.
    Some company’s seem worse that others when it comes to this ( simple search should highlight those that are worse, or at least those that are mentioned more that most ) ....
    Thanks so much for that - very helpful and much appreciated. Could you tell me where to search to highlight the worse offenders please? Sorry to be so dense ....
  • edited 29 July 2020 at 11:58AM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2020 at 11:58AM
    Just g**gle , messed up number portability,  or search this forum or similar forums using that or a similar phrase .
    IMHO  the budget end of the market are less likely to worry about number port , they may well look at it as , you are chosing price as the main ( possibly the only ) factor in chosing them, and if it goes wrong , but they are still a few ££ cheaper , then the customer may grumble but accept it ( especially when they say ‘it wasn’t us , it was the other company that messed up ‘, ) the more expensive company’s arguably have a vested interest in trying to deliver better service ( that way part of the justification for the higher price can be that they have better customer service ) but unfortunately non of them guarantee the number. The only risk free thing is to stay with the same provider , or minimum risk only move to a provider that uses the same underlying network provider, although that isn’t always easy to know what network a particular company uses, some start off on one then move to another .
  • feefeegaborfeefeegabor Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. 
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plusnet would be a good bet for keeping your number as they are owned by BT. 
  • ColinD1ColinD1 Forumite
    117 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6174296/how-to-get-out-of-a-split-transfer-on-a-landline#latest
    Have a look at how bad it can get. OFCOM say it is simple, but if it goes wrong it is horrendous and you are on your own. If you are at the same address and both providers are with Openreach it should work. Don't try anything fancy like moving from copper to fibre at the same time.
    Both companies appear clueless and managing to get through to anyone who can half understand what is going on will take hours of your life.
    OFCOM will do some cursory investigation and give you a reference number, but you do not receive any feedback and the telcos don't seem to find it useful.
    Sorry for the rant, I am Just trying to understand what is going on from a technical viewpoint and if the process I am taking part had any chance of success.
    Someone probably does understand this, but their expertise is probably in heterogeneric distributed databases and this seems a rare skill in the Telco customer help teams.
  • anniecaveanniecave Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I moved from BT to Plusnet and kept the same number. I then moved onto Post Office and also kept the same number.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • tehonetehone Forumite
    614 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I have before when a number has been valuable to me, ported it to a SIP provider, and then repointed it back at the landline
  • ColinD1ColinD1 Forumite
    117 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Anyone know anything about expedite release? and  how many routing databases there are?
    Is it possible that there are many people who do not know their ported number is unreachable from some sources?
    I was aware of the problem right from the start because my son always received ring tone but our phone never rang. Giving out a phone number that could mean that person will never reach you and just think you are never home and don't have an answer phone. 
    Just looking at a claim that my old provider had tried to contact me and claiming I did not have an answer phone. I had assumed a possible lack of veracity, but perhaps they were telling the truth  but not realising they had suffered my problem.