We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Are they Courgettes?

Options
mjm3346
mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Was given a couple of courgette plants (just gone on a spare patch of earth) - the fruit on the middle pic is about twice the size of a tennis ball and the lower one almost football size - they have never been the diameter of ones grown in previous years - are they really a type of courgette?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, they're just round courgettes.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • mjm3346
    Options
    -taff said:
    Yes, they're just round courgettes.
    Thanks, I will go and beat myself with a bamboo cane - instead of searching for "round" I was searching for football shaped (because they are) and very little showed up on search - unlike searching for round

• Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need to get them cut off, or the plant will think it’s job is done and give up producing any more. First one looks about right, but second one has gone too far.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    Options
    What's the difference between a courgette and a marrow?  About 2 days.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
     Never mind the courgettes, it's been uplifting to see you also have hairy bittercress, annual meadow grass and creeping buttercup, just like me. o:)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I beg to differ? It looks like you have some mildew on the top picture? 

I'd expect leaves that are more crinkly or indented and distinctly mottled with silver on courgettes. Think these are squash, not that it stops you cutting them young and eating as courgettes. Although there are round courgettes.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • -taff
    Options
    There are several verieties of round courgettes. The plant is a rosette too , not a sprawly behemoth which I'd expect with  squash. And mildew? Ha! You should see mine. It's all over them....
  • mjm3346
    Options
    -taff said:
    There are several verieties of round courgettes. The plant is a rosette too , not a sprawly behemoth which I'd expect with  squash. And mildew? Ha! You should see mine. It's all over them....
    I've grown "normal" courgettes several times in 3 completely different parts of the garden and they always get mildew almost straight away (nothing else does) but it doesn't seem to stop their growth. 
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have something which looks remarkably similar in my squash patch, but the plant is labelled (by me) as being a pumpkin. It doesn’t look like a pumpkin though, and I definitely didn’t sow any round courgettes this year. Mind you, the golden courgettes which I sowed have all grown up to be pale green ones so heaven knows what’s going on there. 

I measured my Uchiki Kuri plants which have turned into sprawling monsters, and they are each over 20 feet long and full of fruit - about eight or nine each - which is already tennis ball sized! It’s the first year I’ve grown these and I’m really pleased with them.
  • -taff
    Options
    I like uchiki kuri, they're a nice size and not too big for a couple of people. I bought some to grow next year, couldn't get hold of any in time to grow this year. I like burgess vine too, nice colour, nice taste.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback