New Post Advanced Search

Boiler not working - who to call?

17 replies 482 views
Hi
I am currently not living at my house due to flood damage but it is nearly repaired now, but I was here last week as it was being re-decorated and at the same time, my neighbour was having some gaswork being done in the road by Cadent (I assume something to do with the gas main) and on this day my heating was not working, there was a red light on the boiler. I assume that Cadent may have turned off the gas supply while they were working and I was not bothered by this as I was only here til 5pm and then went back to temporary accommodation. 

I've arrived at the house today and the heating is still not working, and the work by Cadent looks to have been completed so I would not expect the gas supply to be switched off anymore. There is still a red light on my boiler.

My question is, who should I call in the first instance? As I have to travel back to the house each time, I'd rather make sure I'm contacting the right people first. Should I be contacting:
1) Cadent, as the issue started when they were working in the road although I have no evidence that the issue was caused by them
2) My gas supplier
3) British gas, as I have a Homecare plan which covers boiler breakdowns

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• edited 27 July at 10:59AM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 July at 10:59AM
    The boiler breakdown is your first port of call, they will need to see why the boiler is not working and go from there. Have you checked it is not a simple reset situation ? Are there any other gas appliances that you can check to see if it is a supply problem ?
  • rob7475rob7475 Forumite
    403 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Have you tried resetting / re-lighting the boiler? Are there any other gas appliances in the property - are they working?
    If the gas supplier was working on the mains and had to cut your gas, they should have attempted to access your property upon completion to check your services. If you weren't in, I'd have expected them to leave you a card with contact details.

Maybe speak to your neighbour to find out more about the work that was done. If you ring the gas supplier and they come out just to relight your boiler, they may charge you.
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your meter is accessible from outside they may/should have switched your gas off to prevent a gas leak once the supply is reconnected.
    Do you have a manual which should tell you what the red light means? If not post the make and model on here. As above it might just need resetting.

• hazalumehazalume Forumite
    11 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for your advice.
    I didn't think of checking the gas hob, it's working fine.
    Turned the boiler to the off position and then back on again, the light is now green and the heating is working.
    I feel so stupid for not trying either of those before posting on here, but never mind, lesson learned!

Thanks all  :)
    403 posts
    ✭✭
    Glad you got it sorted  :)
    11 posts
    Spoke too soon!
    The light went green and it fired up and made the same noise it used to make when it worked, but no heat came into the radiators after 5-10 mins it stopped and the light has gone red again
    11 posts
    If your meter is accessible from outside they may/should have switched your gas off to prevent a gas leak once the supply is reconnected.
    Do you have a manual which should tell you what the red light means? If not post the make and model on here. As above it might just need resetting.
    I'll go and check the gas meter
    I don't have a manual but the it's a Pro Combi, it doesn't have a model name of it but I think from memory it's something like 85HE
    11 posts
    Gas meter looks ok, nothing on the display to suggest any issue. The lever is on the pipe is in the 'on' position
    403 posts
    ✭✭
    leave your gas hob on for a couple of minutes just to make sure it's not residual gas in the pipes that's burning off.
    What's the pressure gauge showing on the boiler?
    11 posts
    Left all 4 burners running for a few minutes and they stayed lit. The pressure gauge on the boiler is just over 1 bar which is what it usually is.