Delay in default - Lowell

Howdy all,
Usual Lowell runaround..
As Credit Karma and Equifax says, I "missed" a payment on a phone contract in July 2014 then the account lay dormant till October 2014 and is marked as settled with zero balance. No default filed at all.

Then there is a Lowell account which relates to this but it begins 1st July 2016 with a default.

My view is the default should at least be registered from anywhere between July to October 2014 or potentially January 2015 latest.

What do I do? I have raised a dispute with Credit Karma.. or do I go to Lowell and demand action as I could do with this gone sharpish.

Many thanks for reading.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,845 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,
    Credit Karma cannot move or remove defaults, only the original creditor can do that.
    Lowell cannot back date a default to a time before they became involved, for obvious reasons.
    Your complaint lies with the original creditor, and thats who you should write and complain to.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • papski
    papski Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    I appreciate the reply.

I will do. I'd assume the best they could do is file the default anytime between July and October 2014 as the account is then closed?

But I will go to them and find out. Again much appreciated.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,845 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Defaults should be registered once between 3-6 contractural repayments have been missed.
    That is the guidence on the matter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Gillianh2
    Gillianh2 Posts: 773 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a problem with 2 defaults listed from Oct 2016 with Lowell (I’ve since been trying to improve my finances and succeeding) however each month Lowell report that I have missed payment on these accounts. I only realised they were doing this when Next said they were reducing my credit limit. Any suggestions as to how to resolve this. 
    :j I have a persecution complex. Everytime I pass a shoe shop they persecute me till I buy them:j
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Gillianh2 said:
    I have a problem with 2 defaults listed from Oct 2016 with Lowell (I’ve since been trying to improve my finances and succeeding) however each month Lowell report that I have missed payment on these accounts. I only realised they were doing this when Next said they were reducing my credit limit. Any suggestions as to how to resolve this. 
    Are you making payments towards it?
  • Gillianh2
    edited 28 July 2020 at 6:46PM
    Gillianh2 said:
    Are you making payments towards it?

No as I wasn’t aware of it being on there. And when I finally noticed asked Lowell for the original paperwork etc they stated they couldn’t locate it,,,
    :j I have a persecution complex. Everytime I pass a shoe shop they persecute me till I buy them:j
  • Gillianh2
    I then thought that as they couldn’t produce original paperwork and I was up to date with all other commitments I could ignore it and leave it to drop off my file in the 6 years. ( I don’t want to post reasons I got into difficulty here) 
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    So they can’t produce the original CCA?

What type of debt is it?
  • Gillianh2
    No they can’t produce original CCA.
    One is Mail Order
    the other mobile phone that threw me as I have until feb this year been a customer of EE/orange since 2006 and kept the same number. I have a second hand I-phone.
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    Mail orders don’t usually have a CCA to my knowledge.
    And if it was a mobile purchased as part of a contract then you “sign”/agree to the CCA online at the time of purchase. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback