PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Interested in house, but the price has DROPPED 40K in the last 10 years, how to figure out why??

Options

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    E.g. scroll down and see how the NE of England has still not got back to 2008 levels

• Splatfoot
    Splatfoot Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    And it shouldn't be the Radon. That's in huge areas of the country, including where I live. 
  • artyclarty
    artyclarty Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would also say that house prices may have not recovered since 08. My current house I purchased for £55k 5 years ago but they paid 81k in 08! They were slumlords who had cowboyed the boiler, electrics, rendering and plumming so I have no sympathy!
    I have had it valued since and its probably worth around £65-70k now.
  • nannyto2
    nannyto2 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Splatfoot said:
    And it shouldn't be the Radon. That's in huge areas of the country, including where I live. 

Are you concerned about it at all, or do you test your house for it? I'm personally not too concerned myself, just when I was searching for Somerset this is mostly what came up as it's the worst levels in the country apparently.
  • nannyto2
    Options
    I would also say that house prices may have not recovered since 08. My current house I purchased for £55k 5 years ago but they paid 81k in 08! They were slumlords who had cowboyed the boiler, electrics, rendering and plumming so I have no sympathy!
    I have had it valued since and its probably worth around £65-70k now.

Thank you, and thank you @ProDave & @AdrianC for the charts. Seems property is not as safe an investment as I previously thought. My best guess from the responses so far, and looking at the graphs, is that they purchased whilst still in the the peak at beginning of 2018, and never fully recovered from the crash, now this has combined with the COVID (which seems to have hit the area hard for job losses/business).

Searching the area, there is another similar size property nearby that has been on the market at a similar price since way back in January.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some areas were severely flooded a couple of years ago?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @nannyto2 are you buying a home that you are going to live in for 5+ years or a rental property as an investment?

Houses are never guaranteed to rise in price, nor is the stock market. People put their money in if they are happy to stay in the property long-term or invest, taking the highs with the lows and riding out any issues.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Parts of Somerset are cheaper compared with the wider area, for example Weston Super Mare is a much more affordable than Bristol for people working in Bristol and easily commutable. I'm not too sure on the historical prices for Weston though?? 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • nannyto2
    edited 26 July 2020 at 7:42PM
    Options
    @nannyto2 are you buying a home that you are going to live in for 5+ years or a rental property as an investment?

Houses are never guaranteed to rise in price, nor is the stock market. People put their money in if they are happy to stay in the property long-term or invest, taking the highs with the lows and riding out any issues.

I plan to live there long term, but this will also be my life savings, and I would sell the property and downsize if I ever needed to free up money, so would rather it be in a place that also makes a sound investment too.

I also find myself thinking: If it dropped 40K due to the 2008 crash, will it drop further now with COVID going on, especially if there is a second wave in winter, and as furlough is further withdrawn. So maybe now is the worst time to buy etc. etc. I guess there are a lot of things to think about.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Perhaps go for the downsize property and invest the surplus money either into your pension, stocks and shares ISA wrapper or higher fixed rate interest accounts.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure