PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Interested in house, but the price has DROPPED 40K in the last 10 years, how to figure out why??

Options
Saw a house in Somerset that I like that has been on the market about 2 months. Looking at historical prices for this house (and the houses on the same street) there has been a drop in prices by about 40K in the last 10 years. For example, the house two doors down sold for 210K in 2008, and then sold for 190K in 2019. The asking price for this house is also 40K less than what it sold for in 2009. I know there has been a drop in house prices recently, but 40K seems excessive on a 200K property.

If I asked the agent straight up about the reason for the price drop, would they even be honest with me?

I am trying to figure out why, as I see no problems, new reports etc, on the street itself. I did some googling and found out that Somerset has had issue with being labelled 'radioactive' due to Radon gas leaks, there have also been some flooding issues in the last few years. I thought this may be the reason for the drop but it seems overall house prices in Somerset have increased these past 10 years, though there was a peak and drop in 2019 - https://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?county=somerset&all=1

Not really sure how to investigate this, or figure this out.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were the houses new in 2008/9? There's generally a premium for newbuilds (and the registered prices can hide incentives which reduced the effective net price). 
  • nannyto2
    nannyto2 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    davidmcn said:
    Were the houses new in 2008/9? There's generally a premium for newbuilds (and the registered prices can hide incentives which reduced the effective net price). 

No, however they were new in 2000, when they were about 120K

an example of the price history of a house on the street:
    2000 - Sold for 120K (new Build) - Freehold
    2008 - Sold for 210K - Freehold
    2019 - Sold for 190K - Freehold

All the houses on this street follow this pattern, where around 2018 onwards there was a significant drop in prices.

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lots of places had a big price drop around 2008 and never really recovered, I don't have any local knowledge though. 
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Show us a link.

I wonder if there's something nearby, maybe a new development that's turned a previously glorious view into suburbia.

2008 was, of course, the big crash. So no surprise that pre- and post-08 sales saw a drop. A lot of areas have never recovered fully.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2008 was the peak of the last housing price boom.
    There are a LOT of parts of the UK where prices still have not got back to 2008 levels after the last crash.
    Nothing to worry about for a buyer now, but bad news if you bought at the 2008 peak in those places.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My flat last sold in 2008, I paid £3k less than they did.

Whilst looking at historic sold prices, for the key financial crash dates helps, what you now have to do is take into account what similar properties in the area are currently selling for.

Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • nannyto2
    nannyto2 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Could very well be the 2008 crash, does anyone know when abouts the house prices started to fall?
    I worry there is something wrong that I may have missed e.g. maybe an issue with the build of the properties that has only just been discovered etc. I suppose a surveyor will pick up any major issues, just don't want to invest any further time or money if there's anything I can discover or investigate myself.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    nannyto2 said:
    Could very well be the 2008 crash, does anyone know when abouts the house prices started to fall? 
    From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8286028.stm

And a longer-term view...

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it leasehold?  The price will drop if the lease gets too short.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    The house price change is for a large area, there will always be regional / geographic variations. A school could be seen as desirable in 2010 creating a demand for local houses. In 2012 another school in the area becomes really popular causing a shift in desirability for schools and a local shift in demand. Better to review the larger area to see if variation is localised.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport