Applying for state pension over the phone - advice

Options
I need to help my wife apply for her state pension, its for the basic state pension which we deferred.
My wife is hard of hearing and cannot speak properly - can anyone give their experience of using the text relay service?
For data protection I do not think I can speak on behalf of my wife.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 July 2020 at 1:13PM
    Options
    I can't comment on the text relay service.
    If she is able to communicate enough to confirm her identity she can then authorise you to speak on her behalf. You could start the call, explain the purpose of the call, get her to confirm identity and authorise you and then you can provide any more details required.

If necessary there also appears to be an option to download a claim form and apply by post. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-basic-state-pension

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • awaw76
    awaw76 Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    calcotti said:
    If she is able to communicate enough to confirm her identity she can then authorise you to speak on her behalf. You could start the call, explain the purpose of the call, get her to confirm identity and authorise you and the you can provide any more details required.

If necessary there also appears to be an option to download a claim form and apply by 

I have seen the application form. It is straight forward but with all this coronavirus they are very slow with the post. 
    She can hear to an extent and can talk  a little. She would struggle with full sentences. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    awaw76 said:
    calcotti said:
    If she is able to communicate enough to confirm her identity she can then authorise you to speak on her behalf. You could start the call, explain the purpose of the call, get her to confirm identity and authorise you and the you can provide any more details required.

If necessary there also appears to be an option to download a claim form and apply by 
    I have seen the application form. It is straight forward but with all this coronavirus they are very slow with the post. 
    She can hear to an extent and can talk  a little. She would struggle with full sentences. 
    The text relay service may be easier - I simply don't know. However if you ring and explain the situation and ask if you can repeat the questions to her she may simply need to be able to confirm her name, NI number and address and then authorise you to speak.

I agree postal application is likely to take much longer.

The new State Pension has an option to claim online but unfortunately this doesn't appear to apply to basic State Pension.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The Pension Service would need your wife's permission in order to speak to her but once given it should remain in place.  You can call them and explain the situation and get their advice on how you can move things forward.  Your wife may have to write to them to give permission for you to act on her behalf.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    have been on the receiving end where text went to the relay service and a a relay assistant spoke  to us. We replied to that person who  forwarded the answer  by text to the caller.
    It worked okay.
  • awaw76
    awaw76 Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber said:
    have been on the receiving end where text went to the relay service and a a relay assistant spoke  to us. We replied to that person who  forwarded the answer  by text to the caller.
    It worked okay.
    But then where is the privacy?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If necessary there also appears to be an option to download a claim form and apply by post. 

This is a pension deferred for well over a year. See

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77429174/#Comment_77429174

• xylophone
    Options

Under the circumstances, it might be best for you to telephone in your wife's presence, explain the situation, and ask her to give permission for you to speak on her behalf.

When you telephone, be sure to have her NI number and date of birth  to hand (particularly in view of 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77429272/#Comment_77429272)

and your own NI number, date of birth and date of marriage.

This would at least be a start - if nothing else, you should be advised how your wife should proceed.

• xylophone
    Options
    Another thought, in view of your wife's difficulties, had she thought about granting you Power of Attorney?
    https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    awaw76 said:
    sheramber said:
    It worked okay.

https://www.relayuk.bt.com/about-relay-uk.html

Confidentiality and data protection from a service you can trust

Rest assured, any calls you make with Relay UK are confidential and your data is secure.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback