Needing advice on door catnic

Options
2»

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Irar said:  I'm sure it would be okay if they had fitted the door tight upto the soldier course anyway..
    Nope. uPVC is not structural and would never support the load. In addition, a gap is required to allow the frame to expand & contract as the temperature rises & falls.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Irar said: basically catnic can't site on bricks on each side of the opening without removing the arms of the canopy.. if you understand? Bolting to the inside skin isn't a bad idea.. that would probably work and be lots easier to do. 
    I understand what you mean. The brackets won't allow a lintel to have a bearing on the wall.  You would need brackets that are bolted to the wall for that. If you take the top of the canopy away you should be able to get at the brickwork and bolt an angle iron to the inner lintel.
  • weeg
    weeg Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Look at IG lintels Masonry support. That might allow you to hang the out leaf brick soldier course off the inner concrete lintel.  Obviously that changes the loading on the inner leaf, but that is unlikely to be a huge issue. The other thing that might work is a brick hanging lintel system.
    I always advise people not to cut or hole catnics, as they can lose a lot of strength.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback