Talktalk "Faster Fibre" speed anomalies

Hi I recently upgraded my TalkTalk broadband contract to "Faster Fibre" for faster speeds and slightly lower cost.  It was/is advertised as an 'average 38mbps' download speed however my confirmation email said I should expect download speeds between a minimum of  9.2 and maximum of 23.2 Mbps.  It's been pretty stable around 20 Mbps.  Now, can anyone explain to me :
1) why my max speed is so much lower than the advertised "average" speed of 38mbps and
2) why my friends living not very far away who also have TalkTalk "Faster Fibre" have contracts specifying download speeds between 15 and 36 Mbps ?  
I was expecting something approaching the 38 Mbps in their adverts so was disappointed by their email confirmation.  I kind of assumed that my inferior speeds are due to the "poor " nature of the "technology" in my specific neighbourhood or something.  I'm not aware any explanation was given by TalkTalk when I upgraded (online).  Does anyone have any ideas?  Should I complain to TalkTalk or is normal ?

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Average is what it says on the tin.  Average connection speed across the customer base.  Speed does and always has done depended on the line.  Nobody is guaranteed 38Mbps unless you have a good enough line or you live on top of the local exchange.
  • edited 26 July 2020 at 10:09AM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July 2020 at 10:09AM
    As above  distance from local cabinet and quality of the line .
    Average is roughly the middle .
    Your friend does not have your connection .
    Better speed over Ethernet rather than Wifi .
    Takes about ten days for a new connection to stabilize to best speed .
  • The_Fat_ControllerThe_Fat_Controller Forumite
    857 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) sets rules about how companies advertise broadband speeds. They must show the average speed that at least 50% of their customers receive at the network's busiest time (8-10pm).
    The only thing that applies to you is what you personally received in your email contract.
    If your speed is above the advised Minimum Guaranteed Speed you cannot complain.
    Every line is a different length, so every person's speed is different.
  • JahWJahW Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    Ok fair enough it is what I expected and my speeds are fine for me.  I do think tho that TalkTalk's advertising of an "average speed" is misleading, particularly for a technologically naive customer, and I'm sure their online upgrade process did not make plain to me at any point the likely min/max speeds for my address.  I'm sure the first time I saw them was in the email confirmation and came with no explanation.  Thanks all.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    JahW said:
    Ok fair enough it is what I expected and my speeds are fine for me.  I do think tho that TalkTalk's advertising of an "average speed" is misleading, particularly for a technologically naive customer, and I'm sure their online upgrade process did not make plain to me at any point the likely min/max speeds for my address.  I'm sure the first time I saw them was in the email confirmation and came with no explanation.  Thanks all.

With all due respect, most "technologically naive customers" only really care if it works or not, not how fast it is.
    The average speed thing is not misleading and that's why it says "up to".  If the advertising said 50Mbps guaranteed and you couldn't get it, then that would be misleading.
    As to no explanation, how much clearer do you need beyond "up to"?  That's crystal clear in itself.
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    JahW said:
    Ok fair enough it is what I expected and my speeds are fine for me.  I do think tho that TalkTalk's advertising of an "average speed" is misleading, particularly for a technologically naive customer,
    All ISPs have to state this average speed.  It is a rule from OFCOM.

• JahWJahW Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    "With all due respect" I wouldn't be asking the question if it was "crystal clear".
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could always say the lowest speed instead of average for those that don't understand .
    OP suggest you contact Ofcom /