PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is my house not selling?

Options
pembr0ke
pembr0ke Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post
edited 25 July 2020 at 10:04PM in House buying, renting & selling
I understand the market is fragile at the moment and FTB’s are struggling for low deposit mortgages, but I still expected our house to sell reasonably quickly after lockdown. We marketed the house at £230k and have been reducing the price every few weeks. We are now listed at £199k and are now one of the lowest priced 3 beds in our area. 
We are listed locally and with Purplebricks Cb99au queens court 3 bed terraced. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    pembr0ke said:
    We marketed the house at £230k snow have been reducing the price every few weeks.
    Doing that will just make you look desperate.  When did you first go to market?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    If you mean this property.
    https://www.purplebricks.co.uk/brochure/787308
    There is an error in the listing.  I could only locate it by including 'sold' properties in a search.
  • pembr0ke
    First Post
    Options
    we put the house on the market right before the lockdown. We have found a lovely house that we have had an offer accepted on, so I guess we are desperate to sell in order not to lose the other house! We had quite a few viewings and 2 offers, both below 190k which is crazy. We remortgaged last year and the bank valued our home at over 200k. Shared parking in our area is a problem, but houses with a driveway in our neighbourhood start at 220k. 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    comes up on RM - looks like a nice house
  • pembr0ke
    First Post
    Options
    both adverts appear on Rightmove.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Offers at less than £190k are not that surprising from a listing at £199k
  • pembr0ke
    First Post
    Options
    thanks Grumpy, but the offers were when we were listed at 215k.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This one.
    You have two problems.  I wouldn't have any confidence with you as a vendor.  The price has been up and down like a yoyo.  You moved it twice in one day .  Secondly, you're using Rightmove.  Unless you're doing your own viewings, potential buyers find it practically impossible to book viewings with them.

I'd delist, wait a few months, then relist with a proper estate agent who'll save you from yourself.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-90862280.html
    09/07/2020Price Changed: £203,000  to £199,950
    06/07/2020Price Changed: £214,950  to £203,000
    22/06/2020Price Changed: £229,995  to £214,950
    14/04/2020Price Changed: £220,000 to £229,995
    06/04/2020Price Changed: £215,000 to £220,000
    03/04/2020Price Changed: £210,000  to £215,000
    03/04/2020Price Changed: £225,000 to £210,000
    27/03/2020Initial entry found.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It looks like a beautiful house and well decorated, so wouldn't worry about it not selling. Agreed with above comment though - I'd change Purplebrick to elsewhere and probably sell in a year or two down the line. Do you have to sell now or can you wait?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback