Need help with state pension -Update 13/8

edited 13 August 2020 at 3:46PM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
25 replies 2K views
2

Replies

  • squirrelpiesquirrelpie Forumite
    519 Posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    awaw76 said:
    There are 2 problems with my wife calling, she is very hard of hearing and she cannot spealkproperly - she has damaged vocal cords - her voice is a high pitched squeak. 
    I can call but I doubt they will deal with me on her behalf.
    Call with both of you present. You explain why you're calling and ask them what they need to hear from her to let you speak on her behalf. She says whatever they need her to, in whatever voice she has. That will probably work; if it doesn't then get them to tell you exactly what they need for you to be able to make progress.
  • awaw76awaw76 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    awaw76 said:
    There are 2 problems with my wife calling, she is very hard of hearing and she cannot spealkproperly - she has damaged vocal cords - her voice is a high pitched squeak. 
    I can call but I doubt they will deal with me on her behalf.
    Call with both of you present. You explain why you're calling and ask them what they need to hear from her to let you speak on her behalf. She says whatever they need her to, in whatever voice she has. That will probably work; if it doesn't then get them to tell you exactly what they need for you to be able to make progress.
    I will try that and see what happens. 
  • edited 26 July 2020 at 7:58AM
    JoeCrystalJoeCrystal Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July 2020 at 7:58AM
    awaw76 said:

    There are 2 problems with my wife calling, she is very hard of hearing and she cannot spealkproperly - she has damaged vocal cords - her voice is a high pitched squeak. 
    I can call but I doubt they will deal with me on her behalf.
    As a hearing-impaired person, I can certainly understand her reluctance!  There are apps on the phone and computer that enable Text Relays service. Please find the link attached for some explanation. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/accessibility/text-relay-guide

    Here is the one I use, https://www.relayuk.bt.com/ and my mobile provider provide tariffs that take advantage of NGTS for example, I get 100 Mins free per month for UK Landline & Mobile + 50% off calls to UK Landline & Mobile; 10% off all other voice calls.

    So she can deal with them through such services. Best of all, you do get a transcript of the call!
    In the case of contacting the Pension Service:
    Textphone: 0800 731 7339
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 7898

    EDIT: I missed the earlier post by xylophone about the Relay UK service! 
  • awaw76awaw76 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    awaw76 said:

    There are 2 problems with my wife calling, she is very hard of hearing and she cannot spealkproperly - she has damaged vocal cords - her voice is a high pitched squeak. 
    I can call but I doubt they will deal with me on her behalf.
    at take advantage of NGTS for example, I get 100 Mins free per month for UK Landline & Mobile + 50% off calls to UK Landline & Mobile; 10% off all other voice calls.

    So she can deal with them through such services. Best of all, you do get a transcript of the call!
    In the case of contacting the Pension Service:
    Textphone: 0800 731 7339


    EDIT: I missed the earlier post by xylophone about the Relay UK service! 
    I need to get this clear. My wife isn't the most IT literate - we only got our first smart phone as an anniversary present.
    We download the app and make the call through the app? Can I assist my wife with the relay service?
    I would do the typing

    I have the pdf form the Government provides filled in - so I assume they will simply want those same questions answered?
    I much preferred the old way where we went to an office - everything in hand. 
  • edited 26 July 2020 at 11:54AM
    JoeCrystalJoeCrystal Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July 2020 at 11:54AM
    awaw76 said:
    I need to get this clear. My wife isn't the most IT literate - we only got our first smart phone as an anniversary present.
    We download the app and make the call through the app? Can I assist my wife with the relay service?
    I would do the typing

    There is also a version for PC Windows as well which can be linked to the mobile phone, but yes, that pretty much is. I included an image below to show what it looks like. Since the app automatically adds the textphone number, it is a matter of opening the keypad icon and type in the number. Please make sure that when you finish the sentence or a paragraph, make sure you end it with a GA which stands for Go Ahead so the other caller can reply. Bear in mind that the voices can be heard over the line as well since the other party will talk to the agent for them to type it out.

    Screenshot Image
  • awaw76awaw76 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    So JoeCrystal said:

    There is also a version for PC Windows as well which can be linked to the mobile phone, but yes, that pretty much is. I included an image below to show what it looks like. Since the app automatically adds the textphone number, it is a matter of opening the keypad icon and type in the number. Please make sure that when you finish the sentence or a paragraph, make sure you end it with a GA which stands for Go Ahead so the other caller can reply. Bear in mind that the voices can be heard over the line as well since the other party will talk to the agent for them to type it out.

    Screenshot Image
    So the cost to use the app is 10p minute to call the Government Pension service. So when I start the call does the Relay operator come online and then wait in the queue with me?

  • JoeCrystalJoeCrystal Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    awaw76 said:
    So JoeCrystal said:

    There is also a version for PC Windows as well which can be linked to the mobile phone, but yes, that pretty much is. I included an image below to show what it looks like. Since the app automatically adds the textphone number, it is a matter of opening the keypad icon and type in the number. Please make sure that when you finish the sentence or a paragraph, make sure you end it with a GA which stands for Go Ahead so the other caller can reply. Bear in mind that the voices can be heard over the line as well since the other party will talk to the agent for them to type it out.

    Screenshot Image
    So the cost to use the app is 10p minute to call the Government Pension service. So when I start the call does the Relay operator come online and then wait in the queue with me?

    I don't know to be honest. I never found myself  in a queue while using it. It is quite possible that textphone number might get priority for all I know. Sorry I cannot be of any more of help on that aspect 
  • awaw76awaw76 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    awaw76 said:
    I need to get this clear. My wife isn't the most IT literate - we only got our first smart phone as an anniversary present.
    We download the app and make the call through the app? Can I assist my wife with the relay service?
    I would do the typing

    There is also a version for PC Windows as well which can be linked to the mobile phone, but yes, that pretty much is. I included an image below to show what it looks like. Since the app automatically adds the textphone number, it is a matter of opening the keypad icon and type in the number. Please make sure that when you finish the sentence or a paragraph, make sure you end it with a GA which stands for Go Ahead so the other caller can reply. Bear in mind that the voices can be heard over the line as well since the other party will talk to the agent for them to type it out.

    Screenshot Image
    I tried this first but I couldn't get it to work properly. 
    Everytime I pressed the spacebar it would post what I have written so "I live at this address" became
    I
    Live
    at
    this
    address

    I thought it would work like a messaging applicaton, where you write a response and then post it, in this app every word was posted immediately.
  • edited 29 July 2020 at 4:23PM
    JoeCrystalJoeCrystal Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2020 at 4:23PM
    awaw76 said:
    I thought it would work like a messaging applicaton, where you write a response and then post it, in this app every word was posted immediately.
    Unfortunately, that is how it is designed. They can see and read your text in real-time, so according to them,  it makes your conversation more free-flowing. But the message itself should stay within the colourised box rather than in each box.

    EDIT: They do have Helpdesk ([email protected]) if you want to get in touch and I did hear that they are looking into making it easier to send the message at some point in the future., 
  • awaw76awaw76 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    I called up again and as my wife has had a deferral of her Pension over an extended period they cannot take the application over the phone. 
    At least I do not have to send in my marriage certificate as they have that evidence confirmed on file. 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals