Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

UC specifics if partner gets job?

New Post Advanced Search

UC specifics if partner gets job?

9 replies 271 views
We've been claiming UC as a couple since the beginning of the CV pandemic. However, my partner has just got a new job. Will this stop me receiving my share of the UC?

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether you'll continue to be entitled to any UC will depend on your partner earnings received during your assessment period. If you don't have dependant children on your claim then you won't have the work allowance, this means that your UC will be reduced by 63% for every £1 of earning received.

• edited 25 July at 10:10AM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July at 10:10AM
    BigBoss said:
    We've been claiming UC as a couple since the beginning of the CV pandemic. However, my partner has just got a new job. Will this stop me receiving my share of the UC?
    There is no such thing as ‘your share’. Entitlement is based on joint circumstances. Members of a couple are expected to support each other financially.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • RubyroobsRubyroobs Forumite
    302 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    BigBoss said:
    If your partner's earnings wipe out any Uc entitlement completely and you are job searching yourself then it may be more beneficial for you to claim new style JSA which is based on NI contributions you have paid over the past 2-3 years. It would depend how much your Uc is reducing to as to what would work out best for you.
  • BigBossBigBoss Forumite
    79 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the responses.
    Do your payments stop immediately once you tell them you have a new job, or will you still receive a final payment? For example - if our payment date is the 26th, and one of us starts a new job on the 5th, would we still be paid the full amount on the 26th for one final time?
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigBoss said:
    Do your payments stop immediately once you tell them you have a new job, or will you still receive a final payment? For example - if our payment date is the 26th, and one of us starts a new job on the 5th, would we still be paid the full amount on the 26th for one final time?

That will depend how much earnings you recieve during your assessment period.
  • BigBossBigBoss Forumite
    79 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    BigBoss said:

Thanks...
     What would the assessment period be? (Presumably from the date we tell them to when?)
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBoss said:
    BigBoss said:

Thanks...
     What would the assessment period be? (Presumably from the date we tell them to when?)
    Your assessment period is set when you first make a claim. 
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigBoss said:
    BigBoss said:

Thanks...
    No. It's from the date you first claim and lasts for 30 days, then you get your statement, with payment after that.

• calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBoss said: Thanks for the responses. 
    If you are paid UC on 26th of the month it indicates your UC assessment period runs from 20th to 19th of the month (presumably you originally claimed on the 20th of the month). If you start a job on the 5th and are paid monthly your first pay will probably not arrive until after 19th so it will not affect the UC payment due on the 26th of that month.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.