Already bought him out - Is he able to come back and ask for more?

Hi 
My partner filed for divorce last year after agreeing to be bought out of his share of our home. I paid the agreed fee and my partner signed in front of a solicitor to have his name removed from the deeds/ land registry. 
We are now approaching our decree Nisi and I am riddled with anxiety that he may ask for more before applying for the decree absolute. I have read online that the deeds are 99% of the law when it comes to property, in this case, would he have a claim to come back and ask for more? 
My new partner is now living in the house with me and I know that my ex has purchased his own house since the separation.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Potentially yes. But his property would also be in the pot if that was the case
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    He can ask. But he wouldn't get anywhere because the agreement's all signed, sealed and almost delivered. Legally. If he's happily settled in a new place then I don't see that happening and you're probably worrying about nothing. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Comms69 said:
    Potentially yes. But his property would also be in the pot if that was the case.
    What?? That's just silly. He can ask but why would his property 'be in the pot'?  It's all been signed over and legally witnessed. Nothing he can do now, it's over.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Surely that is the whole point of having a financial settlement before the divorce is finalised. 
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have you actually gone through the financial settlement and had a consent order signed and sealed?  Or did you just agree what would happen to the house, in which case everything is still on the table?
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 July 2020 at 11:13PM
    It doesn't sound like you have a financial consent order as part of the divorce. If you have one, the order won't come into effect until decree absolute.

Without having a financial order in place, you leave yourself open to financial claims being made against you in the future.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    MalMonroe said:
    Comms69 said:
    Potentially yes. But his property would also be in the pot if that was the case.
    What?? That's just silly. He can ask but why would his property 'be in the pot'?  It's all been signed over and legally witnessed. Nothing he can do now, it's over.
    Really?  Have you seen the OP's actual agreement?  Does it cover both pension pots? Savings?  Loans?  You really do post some nonsense.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MalMonroe said:
    Comms69 said:
    Why is it 'silly'?  It's not clear a financial consent is in place? 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You need a financial order to finish the issue once and for all.  As he has purchased property himself, it is unlikely he would come back at this point because, as pointed out above, his property would also form part of the pot.   How long were  you married?  What about pensions?   
    To avoid any issues should you come into money - inheritance, lottery win, pension lump sum - make sure it is all signed off by the courts.  It is in his interests to do the same because you could, potentially, go after his money at any point too.  Worth pointing that out if he is reluctant! 
  • Thank you for your comments - The financial order will be sorted once the decree Nisi has been announced. We were only married for just under 3 years and the only other thing on the table is his pension (I have only just started to pay in to my pension within the last couple of months - He works within the emergency services and has been paying in to it the whole time we were together. I am not bothered by the pension, I don't want it as I'd rather have a clean cut and get on with my life.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback