How much does it cost if I invest UK and US stocks in non-ISA because allowance in S&S has been used

I want to understand the cost for investing UK and US stocks via a non-ISA account, because allowance in S&S account has been used.

For this question, I am particularly interested in cost for US stocks, and what way to reducing cost for both UK and US stocks. For example, is the rate different for a business account?

I have considered pension-based account, but the money cannot be withdrawn until over 60. Thus it is not ideal.

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,270 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Most ISA providers charge broadly the same for a general investment account as for a S&S ISA, some charge less.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    There are a few providers who offer a lower ongoing account maintenance fee (or a lower cap on the fee) if your account is 'unwrapped' because there is less HMRC compliance for them to do, but typically their charges for carrying out transactions on the stock market will be the same whether you use an ISA or not.

However, if you're looking for a non-ISA, non pension account, that will broaden the options for holding the US stocks because some international-based providers that don't have a huge UK customer base will not bother to offer ISAs and SIPPs. So you can shop around some of the names mentioned in responses to your previous threads.

If you're buying a lot of US stocks from the UK, providers such as Interactive Investor that allow you to have a dollar cash account can be useful because your ongoing dividends or disposal proceeds can be kept in dollars and not need to be converted back and forth - though that particular firm offers other investment types you might not be using, such as open-ended funds, and so its account fees and dealing fees on US shares are not as low as you could find through other providers, depending on your activity levels.

Some companies offer share trading for free while hoping to make money in other ways, although one might think it more precarious to have accounts where you're not paying the broker a fee for trading or account maintenance and they have to rely on other income sources - it can be frustrating to have your access to assets disrupted while the platform goes out of business, as people on the long running SVS Securities thread will attest.

If you are looking to invest through a company account rather than as an individual, some niche providers may have more complex account opening procedures or not generally deal with companies as clients, primarily focusing their efforts on individuals (natural persons rather than legal persons). For example Freetrade has primarily an app based interface and IIRC when you are opening the account it is just collecting your personal info to give you an account, nowhere for company names, director and shareholder info etc. However if by 'business' account you mean just you as a sole trader, then the cost is likely going to be the same whether you were doing it as an individual or ostensibly for your business.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have considered pension-based account, but the money cannot be withdrawn until over 60. Thus it is not ideal.

Currently you can withdraw from a pension at age 55 . This age will slowly increase in future but probably will be a very long time before it reaches 60.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback