Cancelled car insurance

Options
I had a car policy cancelled as I couldn’t find my V5. Which I found the following week. I now have to declare this which is costing me £000s. Is there anything I can do? I’m 25

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never had to give details of a V5 document for car insurance porposes. Perhaps you can give us a bit more detail of what happened?
  • maryb211
    maryb211 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Young driver’s insurance Wisedrive, they asked for a copy of my V5 to confirm I owned the car.
  • maryb211
    First Post
    Options
     I had no problem getting insurance with another company but have been told this year that it will be £500 more as I’ve had to tick the “ever had insurance cancelled box”
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How long ago did this happen? (The cancellation)
    Did you keep them informed about your challenges getting the V5?
    Did they explicitly say its to prove you are the legal owner rather than registered keeper?
  • maryb211
    First Post
    Options
    12 months ago, they just said they were cancelling my policy as I hadn’t  provided a copy of my V5. It was a condition of my insurance.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You could have obtained a replacement from the DVLA.

Unfortunately, having a cancelled policy on your records does bump up the cost. My sibling had to pay an extra few thousand on top of his normal expensive, high risk area, premium and he was a lot older than you at the time.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On something like this, you will find the comparison sites will penalise you but a local broker should find cover without an increase.   It just requires a provider that takes an explanation rather than a tick box.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • maryb211
    First Post
    Options
    yes I did get a replacement V5 but it was too late, my insurance had already been cancelled. I just think it’s ridiculous that I have to go through life declaring this due to this company.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 July 2020 at 5:56PM
    Options
    maryb211 said:
    yes I did get a replacement V5 but it was too late, my insurance had already been cancelled. I just think it’s ridiculous that I have to go through life declaring this due to this company.
    Formal complaint and then ombudsman
    They are under an obligation to treat customers fairly and I don't think they have done so.
    They are rather stupid  to state that the V5 has anything to do with ownership which they do  on their website
    https://help.wisedriving.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360010545551-My-documents
    If you have a no claims bonus we may request to see proof of this along with the front cover and inside left page of your V5 (proof of ownership) 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    maryb211 said:
    It's not the rest of your life, think it was only 5 years for my brother, but cost him about £7k extra over that time.

Did you contact the insurance company when they asked for proof to explain you had to request a replacement from the DVLA?

Why have you waited 12 months to question it.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback