New Post Advanced Search

Help finding executor after 20 years

17 replies 1.2K views
I need some help from you lovely lot. 
I was an executor and beneficiary of my mums will when she died 20 years ago. Her friend was also an executor. Recently a pension policy has come out of the woodwork of my dads (who died shortly before my mum) anyway the pension firm have contacted me and we’ve gone through a sorts but before they pay out they are asking for the executors of my mums will to sign things. I’ve not seen this person for over 8 years she’s either moved or died no friends or family I can trace.  Any advice? 
About time I added a signature really 

Replies

• edited 21 July at 8:06PM
    MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 July at 8:06PM
    Yes. Go back to the pension firm and explain the position and ask why they need the executors to be involved at all/what exactly needs to be signed. Normally pensions fall outside an estate but I guess they are looking at payments which might have been due to your mother.
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    35.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the last known address?
  • Accountant_KerryAccountant_Kerry Forumite
    609 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I do have an old address yes. Also I’ve explained to the pension company but as you say it’s because it would have passed to my mum if she was alive so technically falls into her estate 
  • EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    446 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Is there the possibility the executor could also now be deceased? Plus if the estate was wound up 20 years ago they might feel they've done their duty... I'd go back to the pension company and see if this is really necessary.  
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know how much money is involved?  Is it worth the time trying to find the other executor?
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some counties have the ability to search death record on line. If she lived in one of those it would easy to find a record if she has died in the mean time.
  • EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    446 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Some counties have the ability to search death record on line. If she lived in one of those it would easy to find a record if she has died in the mean time.
    There is also a possibility that they may be alive but unable to administer because of dementia etc.
    609 posts
    ✭✭
    Mojisola said:
    Do you know how much money is involved?  Is it worth the time trying to find the other executor?
    I said this to the provider pretty much, they advised me it was a 'substantial sum' and recommended I continue with the process. This was when the entire process was irritating me tbh.

609 posts
    ✭✭
    My mum would have been 69 this year and her friend was maybe 10 years older so she may well be dead or incapacitated that is true. I couldn't find anything in the local papers obituaries not that that means a lot. 
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said this to the provider pretty much, they advised me it was a 'substantial sum' and recommended I continue with the process. This was when the entire process was irritating me tbh.
    Probably will be worth it then.
    We had a problem with a tiny insurance policy after Dad died - Mum had taken out a couple of penny insurances in the 1940s that would have covered funerals at the time for her and Dad.  When Dad died, the company tried to insist on Mum signing the paperwork before sending the money despite the fact that Mum was dead.  It took them ages to agree that the money should come into Dad's estate - the delay lost us a house sale and all for a hundred and a bit pounds. :(