Climbing hills

Comments

• Still living in Chaos-land but, at last, a date for the diary. Moving in next week - woo! Close to 7 weeks over our initial expectations but most of that was due to our buyer using the Forces Help to Buy Scheme. That process really dragged on but I believe our buyer was not as proactive as they could have been getting it started, but I suppose that's not too long in the grand scheme of things.

This month I paid a little extra on the small mortgage so now down to a round £67,000. I'm not 100% sure what my mortgage balance will be overall once the transaction is done. My small mortgage is being ported over but when I applied, I needed £68,428, so not sure if it will be adjusted or if I will get the difference in cash. I suppose a question for my solicitor. Not that it really matters, I'm just curious. I'll update my signature when it all comes out in the wash.
    Our seller has been just lovely and we've kept in regular friendly communication throughout the process. I've sent them a bottle of gin in advance as a thank-you!  I almost feel as if she's a friend now and I'm just sorry she's moving - LOL.

We are trying to work out the logistics of the move as husband insists on doing it all himself in a large van even though it's a 2 hour drive. We also have a huge storage container full which is near to the house and he plans to move the large items from that as well and all on one day! Plus return the van back to the depot which is near the old house. I think he's crazy but he's trying to save money - even though we're not really strapped for cash - so I have to admire that. My responsibility is to keep the two toddlers (1 and 2.5 yrs old) out of the way and entertained.
    Wish us luck!
    _ep
    Mortgage | Started Oct 2020 £235,875  | Now Dec 2023 £215,439
    MFW | Dec 2035
    Premium Bonds £6275 Investment ISA  £1775 | Ready Access Savings £488 Moneybox £3539

My Mortgage Free Wannabe Diary
  • Great news! We're in, unpacked (mostly) and getting to grips with the house and the new area. Moving day was, of course v. stressful - we didn't manage to get everything into the van, but what was left, we haven't missed. The owners left the house lovely and clean with some bonus extras (bits of furniture) we weren't expecting but very welcome.
    So far it's been a fantastic experience living here. The neighbours have been just wonderful, we've met lots of them and they've brought round packs of biscuits etc. We'll be happy living here, I'm sure. One slight dampener was that I ordered a microwave which was duly delivered to our front door (in full view of the road), whilst I was out spending a small fortune at a bedding store, and by the time we got home, it was missing. The delivery driver who dropped something off shortly after was the likely suspect as confirmed by a curtain-twitcher over the road, but sadly we can't prove it. Great neighbourhood watch though! Due to the fact I'd indicated that it should be left at the rear door, I've got some leverage and Curry's are looking into it with the delivery company - so fingers crossed they'll refund or re-send the item. Time to research video doorbell or CCTV, I think.

Big news in our house, is that for the first time I own a dishwasher!! We didn't have space in the last property to install one but I insisted on getting one and it was the first thing I purchased once we got the internet working. 

I'm currently chasing the mortgage payments I made during the gap between mortgage approval and purchase completion when the small mortgage was ported over. I'm unsure whether my solicitor would have been sent the funds or if they are transferred to my bank account.... hmm a mystery.
    At least I know that the extra payments I made are not applied to my new mortgage. Time to update my signature.
    MFW | Dec 2035
    Premium Bonds £6275 Investment ISA  £1775 | Ready Access Savings £488 Moneybox £3539

• caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Congratulations @Every_penny
    I bet it is great to be in! I really admire your focus on being mortgage free before even moving in. Good luck! 
  • Congratulations on the move! Sounds like a lovely neighbourhood - look forward to hearing how you get on with the mortgage etc!
    Current mortgage (1 Jun 2022): £289,501 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!
    OP Goal 2022 = 3.75% in OPs: £6,975 / £13,200
    Emergency Fund Target: 3 months saved ✅

• Thanks @caeler and @rugbymadfamily
    The amount I'd overpaid to my initial small mortgage ending up getting transferred a couple of days ago, no doubt helped by my solicitor giving them a friendly nudge. It's so tempting to hang on to that cash and use it to treat the family, but really I know I should pay it towards the mortgage. It's just lovely to see a nice healthy bank balance! Since mortgage payments on the new mortgage don't start until 1st Dec, I think I'll pay the usual amount on 1st Nov which leaves a little left over for some treats.

Good news, Curry's have come through and are delivering the replacement microwave. I was expecting a fight here, so I'm very pleased with the outcome.
    MFW | Dec 2035

• twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ahhh you are in a similar situation to me too. I'm also 40 next birthday and we bought our "forever home" in 2018. I have two children 8 and 5, both have additional needs so are a bit younger than their chronological ages. 
    We don't have as much in savings as you, but we are on definitely on a similar journey! :smiley:
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
  • Just popping online to update my signature with an overpayment on £267.47 this month. Finances after moving house are a bit all over the place. I'm looking forward to re-starting my budget spreadsheet in Jan once all direct debits for utilities etc have been sorted out. The savings have taken a dip but as long as they are above £10K, I'm comfortable with that. Our spending has been relaxed a lot since we've moved in as we furnish the extra space and bedrooms, but we've been fairly thrifty buying second hand where we can. We're not rushing to decorate yet, as the house was fairly recently done and we're going to wait to see how the light affects the rooms. One big job that we will do next year is to re-do the floors upstairs in the old part of the house and re-carpet. There are lots of creaky floorboards and an almost imperceptible slope in one room but enough that I notice. No subsidence, just a slight wonk when the house settled after building and the previous owners didn't really use the room.
    We have an electrician coming out this week to sort out a few niggly jobs such as installing shaving points in the bathrooms and en-suites - I don't know how the previous owners charged their toothbrushes! 
    I will need to properly budget for all these house renovations as I want to avoid savings being depleted entirely over the next year.
    MFW | Dec 2035

• caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How’s the budget coming for your home renovation projects? @Every_penny
  • Hi @caeler, Thanks for checking in. I still haven't budgeted precisely for home renovations mainly because we haven't yet got quotes for the three big projects that need doing (upstairs, downstairs and garden). We've been decorating here and there and the electrician has been but it's all come of our one big income pot. I've not been great at keeping track of individual spends. However, I'm managing to overpay around £300 per month on the mortgage and got a good savings pot so things are balancing out.
    Good things happening in April, my bi-annual bonus is due and also I've been given a small pay rise for taking on extra duties. The bonus will go into the savings and towards renovations and pay increase will all be funneled into overpaying the mortgage an extra £100 per month or so. I've also been tracking my pensions and I look to be on target so no need to up my payments there.

I don't feel fully in command of my monthly budget yet as we're paying extra for council tax and bills due to the months missed during the move and setting up the accounts. I'll have a clearer idea of outgoings in April and then I can start allocating funds properly. Any ideas would be gratefully received! I've not done a full statement of affairs yet, but perhaps I should.
    MFW | Dec 2035

• Only managed a small overpayment of £194 this month as I'm trying to preserve my savings pot for our yet unquoted house renovations. I definitely had some luxury spends in February, mainly clothes for all the family, but mostly sale purchases.

Annoyingly I have just found out that our council tax has been re-evaluated from Band C to Band F! The previous owners added a large extension and I was expecting us to move up to band E - the same as other properties on the street but no, apparently not. After a call to their department, I was very surprised to lean that it doesn't entirely depend on the value it would have been in 1991 but actually the perimeter is more important factor. I am going to have to find some time to research other properties and refute the increase although I'm not entirely sure I'll be successful based on their judging criteria. I think the difference between E and F is around £35 per month.

Roll on the end of month when I get my bonus payment! Also, I will be expecting our first FIIT return from the solar panels although the sun has been a little shy this winter so I'm not expecting much!
    MFW | Dec 2035

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure