Disabled Person on UC and Cohabiting

1235»

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,015
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    RobinHill said:

I think that you will find that the vast majority of people when first cohabitating do not combine their finances, more likely both share household costs etc, rent, insurance, heating, food etc, with the remainder comprising their own private disposable incomes. Only later do some couples completely combine all their finances.

I think that you and your new partner need to sit down and have a real talk about your situation and how the finances will be effected if you move in together. You may find that they fully understand and will be happy with the situation. If they are not then, maybe the relationship is destined to fail. As at some point it will come to one income.
    Being honest & upfront is one of the cornerstone of a good relationship. 

I think if you do not want to have that conversation, then you are going to have to try the odd night or weekend to see how it goes. But that tricky conversation is going to be lurking in the background if things are going to move on. Getting it out of the way now is a guide to how solid base you have.

Maybe some us here are from a generation where moving in together often only after getting married, It was a big step and well planed out and funded. Not like now where so many move in & out again after a few weeks realising their mistake.

Life in the slow lane
  • Disabled Person on UC and Cohabiting

I too agree it is unfair. This matter Han be legally challenged by a judicial review as contrary to human rights. First you would need to be subject to the withdrawal of benefits on basis of cohabitation. Then you need to challenge it on basis as contrary to right to family and inhumane and degrading treatment. You need to peruse this as it will be difficult to find a solicitor to perdue this. But it is a completely legal and rightous action
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    Forumite
    u42mb said:
    Disabled Person on UC and Cohabiting

I too agree it is unfair. This matter Han be legally challenged by a judicial review as contrary to human rights. First you would need to be subject to the withdrawal of benefits on basis of cohabitation. Then you need to challenge it on basis as contrary to right to family and inhumane and degrading treatment. You need to peruse this as it will be difficult to find a solicitor to perdue this. But it is a completely legal and rightous action

You've commented on a thread that's 13 months old.
  • RobinHill
    RobinHill Posts: 332
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    poppy12345: You've commented on a thread that's 13 months old.
  • RobinHill
    RobinHill Posts: 332
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Am I missing something here? Can someone explain to me if there is a rule written or otherwise about not commenting on a thread that is several months old. Surely if someone feels that they wish to place a comment then they are more than within their rights to do so, irrespective of how old the post may be.
  • Is there a new thread on the same issue?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    Forumite
    u42mb said:
    Is there a new thread on the same issue?

Only the one that you randomly started yesterday... here. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289815/disiabilty-benefits-and-cohabitation#latest

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback