Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

Daughter & her boyfriend moving into their first home together - benefit help & advice needed please

New Post Advanced Search

Daughter & her boyfriend moving into their first home together - benefit help & advice needed please

34 replies 3K views
Hi. All,

Appologies in advance for the length of this post.

My 18 year old daughter currently lives at home with me (I receive Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for her) - she is on a local council traing scheme and receives £30 a week from that sceme.  She has to do a second part of that course too (money should raise to £50 per week whilst she is on her training scheme).

My daughter's boyfriend is a University Student and receives a Uni Grant.  They have been steady for quite some time and are going to move in to and start their new life together.  My daughter wants to continue training and wants to start work after it, she is not interested in staying on benefits. 

So it is me asking this... could anyone tell me what benefit she would be entitled to claim whilst she lives with her boyfriend please?  And how to apply for it during this Covid-19 epidemic?   Would she be entitled to help with the cost of Rent and Council Tax too please?  (They will be private renting).

Thank you in advance for your replies, help and advice. 

Replies

• DoxDox Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can they afford to start their new life together? Suggest she tries the benefits calculator at https://www.turn2us.org.uk
  • LilElvisLilElvis Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    With no real income the chances are that both you and the parents of the boyfriend will have to stand as guarantors for their rent - both sets of parents being equally liable for the entire duration of the tenancy, even if they split up and their child moves out. In all likelihood at their age this relationship won't last and there will be financial ramifications which they will be personally liable for in addition to the rent - non payment of which will blight them for years. 
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    His student loan/ grant will still be based on his parent's income.
    I would think your child benefit would stop if she was no longer living with you, I'm not sure who could claim it. It seems odd to me that the boyfriend could claim child benefit for his girlfriend, but I don't know the rules on that.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Help_Seeker_20Help_Seeker_20 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    silvercar said:
    I would think your child benefit would stop if she was no longer living with you, I'm not sure who could claim it. It seems odd to me that the boyfriend could claim child benefit for his girlfriend, but I don't know the rules on that.
    My daughter currently lives with me.  I claim CB for her, not her boyfriend.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvercar said:
    But when she moves in with her boyfriend you wouldn't be able to claim it any longer but the boyfriend would be able to as he is responsible for the child (his girlfriend) 
    41.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvercar said:
    silvercar said:
    But when she moves in with her boyfriend you wouldn't be able to claim it any longer but the boyfriend would be able to as he is responsible for the child (his girlfriend) 
    That was the point I was making. You won't be able to claim if she no longer lives with you, but the boyfriend should be able to claim. It just seems odd, when you type it, that the boyfriend can claim child benefit for his girlfriend.
    If she is your only "child" there would be an impact on your CTC too.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The girlfriend is 18yrs - Adult
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    41.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alter_ego said:
    The girlfriend is 18yrs - Adult
    OP said she is on a training course and OP is claiming CB, so I guess that the claim is allowed to continue while she is on the course.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Child benefit is still payable to under 20 year olds if in approved education or training so I’m assuming the training course falls under that. 
  • JReacher1JReacher1 Forumite
    4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn’t really seem sensible to make this move until you’ve got an income coming in. With neither in the relationship working it doesn’t seem to be a great way to start a new life together. 

Is there a pressing reason why she has to leave your home? Personally I would be tempted to suggest to her that she stays at home until she has completed training and starts to earn an income.