Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Do you need a fit note to get a WCA?

New Post Advanced Search

Do you need a fit note to get a WCA?

9 replies 146 views
If you've declared conditions affecting your ability to work in your application for UC, is that sufficient to trigger a WCA, or will it not happen without a Fit Note?

Replies

• edited 14 July at 7:13PM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 7:13PM
    It theory it is not necessary for medical evidence to be provided as a Fit Note. However in practice it seems to be difficult to get a WCA triggered without a Fit Note. You undoubtedly need some evidence - declaring a condition is not sufficient.
    http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2019-0980/78._Medical_Evidence_including_Fit_notes_v5.0.pdf
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • stupidaspiestupidaspie Forumite
    67 posts
    10 Posts
    Would notes from mental health services (obtained by SAR) be acceptable as evidence? And would I have to provide the evidence to the DWP in order to begin the process for a WCA?
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes evidence will need to be provided. As already advised a Fit Note is the most reliable form of evidence and will make your claim smoother. Other forms of evidence may not be accepted not withstanding the guidance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evidence of how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work is also useful to send with the WCA form, when you do receive it.
    67 posts
    10 Posts
    Even if you don't want a WCA, is it still worth mentioning any disabilities in the part of the form with the question about conditions affecting ability to work? I presume that if you declared them without providing evidence, the DWP wouldn't do a WCA but your work coach could take them into account when it comes to commitments?
    9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Potentially your work coach can yes but as you have a health condition that prevents your ability to work then why don't you want to go through the WCA?
    67 posts
    10 Posts
    Potentially your work coach can yes but as you have a health condition that prevents your ability to work then why don't you want to go through the WCA?

I have various and pretty substantial challenges but I've never had a job so my abillity to work has never really been tested. In light of that, it might be quite difficult to get a fit note from a GP.
    9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your GP refuses to give you a fit note then see a different one. You really should go through the WCA assesment because if you don't and you don't complete your work commitments then you could be sanctioned.
  • pebbles88pebbles88 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi op
    to trigger a WCA under uni credit would require fit notes. However as another poster said, you need to talk with your work coach & declare conditions that affect what you can do so that they can tailor you commitments for you. 

HTH :-)
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!