We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

1.3m BT landline customers face bill hike of up to £54/yr - MSE News

Options
12346»

Comments

• dc_scotland
    Options
    Super_Stomper, I am in a similar position to you with a Broadband & Unlimited Weekend Calls package.  I have not had any contact about a change in calling plan charges either, but I have had a letter saying that if I recontract any time up to the date my current contract ends in September, then it will be a 2 year contract at the same price as my 2019/20 contract.  I phoned to ask about the publicised changes to calling plans.  I was told that this did not apply to me, as my Unlimited Weekend Calls come as part of my Broadband package, rather than as a separate add on.  Hopefully that is correct. 
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The re contract mail  is not part of the price rise email.
    ULW calls with BB as above probably correct as i followed the price increase email link and was offered 700 pm for £0.00 . About the same as current call costs of nil .
    Keep evidence of anything your ISP tells you in regard to prices .
  • Super_Stomper
    Options
    dc_scotland. I finally got a call from BT. The original team member said I would be upgraded to a higher package unless I cancelled it but the Loyalty team member she put me through to eventually told me that as I was only W/E calls there would be no change until I changed my contract so I could keep my free w/e calls!

Think it's all a ploy to get me to upgrade to a 'better' broadband deal. Yeah, like that worked! Why would I renew with BT at more money when I can go elsewhere and get more or less the same deal for less than half the price.

I think we have to start treating Broadband more like the utility and insurance companies and shop around every year 
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    <
     I think we have to start treating Broadband more like the utility and insurance companies and shop around every year  >
    Thats always been the advice on here .But find a good deal and ask retentions to match or better .
    Dont just move off a service that works for you .
  • Super_Stomper
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    <
     I think we have to start treating Broadband more like the utility and insurance companies and shop around every year  >
    Thats always been the advice on here .But find a good deal and ask retentions to match or better .
    Dont just move off a service that works for you .
    Yeah, but try getting BT to reduce from £47.99 to £26.99.... fat chance. Best deal I've ever been offered is 'we can upgrade you for 30p more than you're paying now'!!!
    I upgraded once before to what I have now, and once you've upgraded you can't downgrade.
    I've already got fibre so I don't want an upgrade, I don't need an upgrade, i just need to pay less for a reasonable service.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Thats what i have done on every previous BB price increase got a lower price .Same goes for many posters on here .
    Current BB and landline price .ALR £19.99  + £7.34 = £27.33
    Plus on this  call price email  700 mins per month for £0.0
  • Super_Stomper
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    Thats what i have done on every previous BB price increase got a lower price .Same goes for many posters on here .
    Current BB and landline price .ALR £19.99  + £7.34 = £27.33
    Plus on this  call price email  700 mins per month for £0.0
    How DO you do it?????? I'm always so nice too; I've even tried the OAP card (I'm nearly 70) and that hasn't worked either. Next time I will have a deal almost in place elsewhere and not be afraid to tell BT to pull the plug.  (PS what is ALR? or is it a typo?)
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Advanced Line Rental saves 10% .
    How yes find alternatives and be prepared to walk away .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback