We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

1.3m BT landline customers face bill hike of up to £54/yr - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Connie
    Connie Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 July 2020 at 1:19PM
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, Oldandwizend.
    No, my bills show  a charge for broadband, plus extra for BT1571.  No separate mention of, or payment for,  Unlimited Anytime.  As I said, it 's been included in the broadband package for many years.
    Under "Your services" at the left side of the bill page, under Broadband it lists "Broadband Unlimited and Anytime Calls", and  under Landline it says "Unlimited Anytime Plan".
    There's a breakdown of landline usage, with most calls costing £0.00.  Only calls outwith the plan cost anything  -  ie  -  calls lasting longer than 60mins, or calls to service numbers.
    I don't make a lot of calls, as the family phone me , and otherwise I tend to communicate mostly by email.     PAYG would have cost me £50.64 in the last year.

• oldandwizend
    Options
    Connie said:
    Thanks for your reply, Oldandwizend.
    No, my bills show  a charge for broadband, plus extra for BT1571.  No separate mention of, or payment for,  Unlimited Anytime.  As I said, it 's been included in the broadband package for many years.
    Under "Your services" at the left side of the bill page, under Broadband it lists "Broadband Unlimited and Anytime Calls", and  under Landline it says "Unlimited Anytime Plan".
    There's a breakdown of landline usage, with most calls costing £0.00.  Only calls outwith the plan cost anything  -  ie  -  calls lasting longer than 60mins, or calls to service numbers.
    I don't make a lot of calls, as the family phone me , and otherwise I tend to communicate mostly by email.     PAYG would have cost me £50.64 in the last year.

My bill shows 'Your Services' on the left hand side like yours but to the right it says 'How we worked out your bill' and shows a heading 'Broadband & Landline' under which is a breakdown under 'Your regular charges' detailing 'Broadband and Calls' and then
    'Unlimited Anytime Calls Add-on: £10.11/month'.
    If your bill does not show all this then, whilst you may not be alone, you are the first that I have known with unlimited calls included in your basic broadband contract. That being the case then, in your shoes, I would be tempted to sit tight until October and see what happens.as you may just be lucky and not see any increase until your contract is due for renewal when, of course, you can renegotiate with BT.
    You do not say whether you have received an email, or other notification, from BT about the increase as I would have thought that if you do have a non-standard contract then you would have received a more personal notification rather than the generic email sent to most customers.
    It is said that there is a limit to everything. This cannot be true as everything has no limit!
  • Connie
    edited 29 July 2020 at 3:57PM
    Options
    Oldandwizend -
    Under "Your regular charges" it only has broadband and BT1571.
    Looking back through paperwork, I see I've been on this plan since 2010.
    Ireceived an email on 15th July, quoting my account number, but not addressing me by name, so I assume it is what you refer to as a generic email.
    However,  "We’ll be closing your current plan. . . . " sounds pretty definite to me.

I'll just have to keep trying phone them.  I have a list of questions relating to this!  For instance, I suppose I'll have to have a new broadband plan without calls included, if I have to opt for one of their current phone plans, which are all separate from broadband.
    Online, my last bill says "Your broadband discount is ending soon".  From posts elsewhere, I see that this  doesn't necessarily mean anything, but may simply be a marketing ploy.   But perhaps it does mean what it says.

Thanks for your replies.

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It usually means you have a discounted BB for x months .That is now coming to an end and discount will be removed .
  • Connie
    edited 29 July 2020 at 4:48PM
    Options
    I'm not aware of having had any such discount.
    I need to phone them.

Thanks!
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Should be on your sign up email

Special offer discount -£39.50
    Your special offer discount lasts for 18 months

• JJ_Egan
    Options
    Web link from EMail  gave me 700 mins per month landline or mobiles .
    Cost £0.0.0
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 August 2020 at 11:47AM
    Options
    I recieved the letter a couple of weeks ago which in my opinion was as clear as mud!
    I've been a BT customer since 1969 landline only. Broadband is another provider. I was on unlimited uk landline calls with Call Minder and 1571.
    I only use my mobile when out and about so basic payg.
    My average monthly bill was £30ish on the low side. Recently I was without my laptop and made about six mobile calls. My July BT bill was double the norm.
    I usually talk to family and friends either on the landline or more often email.
    I have made 4 attempts to speak to a BT advisor on the phone and had long waits and no clarity on the questions I'm asking.
    Nothing is in the letter re Line Rental , Call Minder , 1571, Vat etc. So not sure if the package includes those costs or they're extra.
    I'm a carer for my adult daughter and my landline number is registered with GP, a number of hospitals other areas of the NHS etc.
    I originally thought I'd recieved the letter due to the the incease in calls I made to mobiles but everone seems to have either recieved letters or emails .
    It would help if I could access my online account but for the last few months the site isn't accepting my online log in details and attempts to change my password have got me nowhere. BT used to have good service for queries but it's hit and miss now.
    Oh for the days we had a BT shop on the high street and only one gas and electricity supplier also with high st shops.
    I'm showing my age there but you could pay a bill and although problems were rare they were dealt with there and then.
    I'm glad to aee this discussion so thanks all.
    If anyone knows if the package is all inclusive with no extra costs I would be inclined to take the extra £4.50 a month hit. It goes against my OS MSE instincts but dd was put under shielding 21 weeks ago by our Dr before letters were sent out . She remains so although shielding has lifted on the orders of GP and Consultants.
    In home nurse visits for bloods, asthma checks etc are reduced although GP , Consultants and Nurses are making remote contact.
    Sorry fot the long post. If the package includes everything I'll take it . Wont be happy but things are quite stressed at hte moment and can't be dealing with the BT phone advisers.
    polly  .

It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Line rental is not part of this .
    Online working fine suggest you double check your email and log in details .
    You do have a BT members Community forum via BT Help that can help.
    Sorry  i cannot check the extras as i have already signed up .

• Super_Stomper
    Super_Stomper Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 August 2020 at 11:11AM
    Options
    I have a BT Broadband & Landline (Fibre with Halo 1) and Unlimited weekend calls. My contract ends on 12/11/20. I have not had either letter or email about the Landline charges but I have been asked to  'review' my contract with them.The link took me to a Renew Your Contract page which I backed out of as I don't think I actually want to renew with them. (Seems to be the same as I'm payiin now which is £47+ per month).

I worked for BT for 33 years so have stuck with them but they aren't very flexible. I've tried negotiating in the past but never  managed to get more than a couple of £s off. Thinks it's time I was off.

It's my well established email address (know to friends & family & set as a log-in ID on  the internet pages I use) that's stopped me moving before now as I don't fancy having to find a new email ID & let everyone know. Plus the unlimited free access to the many BT Wi-Fi Hotspots with my mobile! (My mobile is also with BT, but the contract for that doesn't end until May 2021)

PS I haven't had a separate letter or email about the Call Package changing. Having said that as I have free calls & texts on my mobile phone so only use my landline for 0800 calls anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback