Cancelled my TV Licence.... and feel strangely liberated!

Finally decided yesterday that I would cancel my TV Licence as I couldn't remember the last time I watched 'Live' tv. It was a weird experience, I guess because it is just one of those bills that you always have had to pay I felt almost 'naughty' in cancelling it, but then I rationalised it that I used to go fishing but haven't for a few years so don't bother with a fishing licence, so why should this be any different?
The only things I ever watch are Netflix, Apple TV+, and movies - I did watch the odd bit of iPlayer but that was mainly documentaries and was very few and far between so don't expect to miss that at all.
Although, like many, I don't agree with the huge salaries and political bias shown by the BBC, that didn't really figure into my decision, it was purely why should I pay £13 a month for something I don't ever use?
I am sure at some point I will get letters telling me I need one, and possibly even a knock on the door but I won't be responding to any of that malarkey and certainly won't be letting anyone in my house to check, after all, the Environment Agency remind me each year I need a fishing licence if I wish to go fishing and they don't feel justified in turning up at my door and harassing me for it so I don't see why the BBC ;lackeys should be able to.
Mortgage free!
Debt free!

Time poor...

Comments

• apb123
    apb123 Posts: 33
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good for you. I am thinking of this...but I need to be confident none of the kids will login to iplayer ! I am thinking about it.

There are so many debates why people are doing this. They seem to be a hopelessly bloated and biased organisation. The main reason, which I think will be there undoing is that they are just irrelevant to us. Netflix, Amazon prime. We dont consume any BBC content.

I read an interesting piece that the BBC's addiction to the licence fee has ultimately caused its undoing. It was the first service to stream, iplayer was out well before Netflix. If it had embraced a worldwide private outlook at that time it could have crushed its rivals and be the default world streaming service for billions of people. Instead it has restricted itself to just 60 million people and Netflix is now hundreds of times bigger. It is too late.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2020 at 4:10PM
    Welcome to the club!

I cancelled my TV licence at a climatic point of the BBC's reprehensible behaviour, since then it has vicariously become increasingly politically active. In my view, this activity delegitimises the TV licence.

Calling it a "TV licence" is also misleading ever since it became possible to buy a TV purely to play games or watch videos. The BBC have no doubt capitalised for many decades on the enduring confusion over when a TV licence is and is not needed.

Now as streaming platforms increasingly rise up to overtake and undercut the BBC, their revenue goes into decline. Meanwhile the BBC throw away huge sums on diversity, attracting younger audiences and indulging their employees. It is apparent that the BBC are irredeemable and I feel it won't be long until the TV licence is no more.
  • You’ll never be able to watch live tv, use the iPlayer, record channels. The stuff available on Netflix, Nowtv prime etc is quite limited compared to what’s available on catchup. You can easily spend 30quid a month on these services and this makes the tv liscence seem good value  I tried this once and lasted 6 months but that was when you could use the iPlayer too. 
    Personally I could probably do it but I would miss my daily dose of Pointless and new series of Line of duty. 
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2020 at 1:04PM
    You’ll never be able to watch live tv, use the iPlayer, record channels. The stuff available on Netflix, Nowtv prime etc is quite limited compared to what’s available on catchup. You can easily spend 30quid a month on these services and this makes the tv liscence seem good value  I tried this once and lasted 6 months but that was when you could use the iPlayer too. 
    Personally I could probably do it but I would miss my daily dose of Pointless and new series of Line of duty. 
    You can still use catchup without a TV licence (except BBC iPlayer).
    There is no need to pay anywhere near £30 a month by following a few basic rules:
    1. Don't renew subscriptions unnecessarily, try alternating between different services each month.
    2. Take advantage of free trials, discounts and cashback websites.
    3. Never pay full price for Now TV - I've always gotten a better deal by buying a cheap pass or going through cancellations.
    4. People who already have Amazon prime don't pay any extra for Amazon video.
    5. Some can get free or reduced priced subscriptions through their mobile phone contract or a price comparison website.
    6. In addition to catchup, there's plenty of free content available through YouTube, Dailymotion, Pluto, Roku TV etc. 
  • chubsta
    chubsta Posts: 383
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You’ll never be able to watch live tv, use the iPlayer, record channels. The stuff available on Netflix, Nowtv prime etc is quite limited compared to what’s available on catchup. You can easily spend 30quid a month on these services and this makes the tv liscence seem good value  I tried this once and lasted 6 months but that was when you could use the iPlayer too. 
    over the last few years I have found less and less on tv that I actually wanted to watch. I have Netflix because my children use it (at their mothers house) and watch probably one or two hours of that per week. I also have Apple TV+ because a years sub came free with my daughters iPhone a couple of months back, but to be honest there doesn't seem to be a huge amount on there to watch anyway so probably won't continue with it after the year is up. I have Apple Music so don't ever listen to the radio either, not sure if that is covered by a TV licence though anyway.
    If I could possibly get £13 worth of value out of the BBC per month then I wouldn't have a problem paying it, but as it stands I cant see me missing the probably one or two hours of iPlayer I would previously watch per month.

Must admit, it still feels a little odd and even naughty to not be paying it but I won't be going back, there are too many other good things to be doing than watching television.
    Mortgage free!
    Debt free!

Time poor...
  • I agree Chubsta, you may as well get rid of Netflix for the amount that is being used, it doesn’t make it good value. 
    You can use bbc iPlayer radio without a license, the app is very good and I use it all the time. We watch very little tv in our house and I would get rid also if the misses would agree to it. 

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,135
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I like to use BBC Sounds from my Amazon Echo Dot.   It's the perfect combination, and the Alexa Skill works very smoothly (it plays the most recent episode by default, and you can then skip back or ask for an episode by date).
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,292
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A bit unfair to label the whole of the BBC as becoming increasingly politically active. I've watched Match of the Day all season, and not seen a Tory or Labour MP once. Good for you OP, if you can live without it that's £13 a month saved. I would prefer the licence to cost less (more like the £8 a month for Netflix), but I'm happy to keep it. I preferred the old I-player radio app, but BBC sounds is okay, although new content in comedy seems to have disappeared. Had to go back to listening to the 22 series of Infinite Monkey Cage from the very beginning.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Recently I've been watching more on iPlayer than I have on Netflix.
    Staged, What we do in the Shadows, Inside No9, Mrs America, Devs, Sewing Bee. There has been a lot of shows we've watched on iPlayer.
    If anything it would be ITV I would personally get rid of.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 2,984
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 July 2020 at 11:08AM
    It’s all subjective of course , personally I think the BBC is terrific value for money, TV, Radio ,Web , for all the right wingers who criticise them for their ‘lefty’ bias, which is in my opinion nonsense, if anything they give right wing politicians and supporters an easy ride, in their attempts to be ‘balanced’
    But I’m  not expecting any right wingers to agree, there probably is something in BBC ‘balance’ if both sides think the other gets an easy ride, what do you consider to  be balanced mainstream media , The Daily Heil , or the Stun ?, perhaps you can get Fox News in a stream.
    The BBC is in a strange position, why would ‘talent’ work for the BBC for less than they could earn for a commercial broadcaster , if they only employ ‘amateurs’ and pay salaries commensurate with that level of ability, they would get complaints that the ‘quality’ of BBC output is poor, and those that point at ‘trash’ TV that they may produce , if they are obliged to provide something for everyone, you have to accept trash has an audience.
    If someone genuinely doesn’t consume BBC products , then I agree , making them pay £13 a month is unfair, ( but how many sneakily consume output anyway ) , but what other model works, right wingers would not pay if it were subscription based , and if their alleged bias were correct , then only lefty’s would subscribe, the BBC would then definitely become left wing  if thats where their audience is, the market then opens for organisations like Fox , who  don’t even pretend to be balanced , right wingers will happily subscribe to them as they reinforce their world view, and as a country we become more divided into them and us, and we tolerate each other less and less
    It is the case , the BBC is the worlds most trusted broadcaster 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure