New Post Advanced Search

Legal Phone Theft

18 replies 604 views
2»

Replies

• frederick1950frederick1950 Forumite
    71 posts
    10 Posts
    Stragglebod....Nobody is being harsh just realistic.
    The OP took the risk and it backfired on them , a sensible person wouldnt have touched it with a barge pole. 
    The OP then comes on here with what is basically a tirade berating everyone except himself and doesnt seem to acknowledge they made a mistake .
    That attitude doesnt deserve my sympathy.
    As far as tools go you sound like an absolute spanner.
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
     They could have checked the IMEI using a service like Checkmend

Not much use if the seller reports it stolen or stops paying for it after selling it
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    3.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it was stolen property why didn't the police take it of them?
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    badmemory said:
    If it was stolen property why didn't the police take it of them?
    See OP, "So I did, the police told me they couldn't find him lol, and there was nothing more they could do, the phone was according to them, my property"
    To be stolen the lawful owner has to be deprived of the property, and the police unable to find alleged  lawful owner to confirm he has been deprived of 'phone, it''s open to guesswork just how hard they tried of course

• edited 13 July at 3:18PM
    PetriixPetriix Forumite
    472 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 13 July at 3:18PM
    The police shoud investigate, but they won't. I imagine it would be possible (if not trivial) to get a warrant to compel the phone company to reveal the details of the original owner, then to interview them and see if they match the description of the Facebook seller etc..

Of course it's possible that the phone was stolen before the OP bought it, and that might be harder to resolve; but the police really should at least ask the question. It's understandably frustrating that they can't be bothered.
  • edited 13 July at 3:40PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 July at 3:40PM
    OP essentially yes it is your fault, you bought from FB Marketplace (not sure why), saw the phone and thought it was a good deal.
    Why should 02 refund you the money ?
    They didn't sell you the phone, you bought from a seller on FB.
    A used one on Music Magpie is around the same price, some are lower depending on the condition.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barny1979 said:
    Caveat emptor
    Very much this OP
    The marketplace isn't a place I will use to buy a phone, I use Amazon or other websites for that.

• edited 14 July at 9:27AM
    apb123apb123 Forumite
    24 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    edited 14 July at 9:27AM
    If you know the name of the person try the small claims court. You will win if you have all this evidence.

Like is so difficult now. There are scams everywhere you have to keep your wits about you these days.It also puzzles me in these cases why "data protection" always seem to protect the criminal.