Forum Home» Savings & Investments» ISAs & Tax-free Savings

Separated parents and children’s ISAs

New Post Advanced Search

Separated parents and children’s ISAs

2 replies 47 views
With my child recently starting school, I’ve been able to move from working part-time to a full-time position and was excited to finally start saving on her behalf. When I mentioned this to my ex (child’s father) he stated he’d opened an ISA for her ‘years ago’ but will not tell me any other details, in particular how much he has / is saving
(it could be thousands or zero, either way he’s not going reveal anything about his financial circumstances to me). I assume that despite the fact we have equal parental responsibility I have no right to information about the ISA as I did not open it. 
This obviously limits me to opening a savings account instead, but is there anything I need to be aware of? For example savings limits or tax issues..

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redlornz said:
    This obviously limits me to opening a savings account instead, but is there anything I need to be aware of? For example savings limits or tax issues..
    If the amount you contribute earns more than £100 of interest annually then tax comes into play, as explained at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/child-savings-tax-free/#tip5
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Redlornz said:
    With my child recently starting school, I’ve been able to move from working part-time to a full-time position and was excited to finally start saving on her behalf. When I mentioned this to my ex (child’s father) he stated he’d opened an ISA for her ‘years ago’ but will not tell me any other details, in particular how much he has / is saving
    (it could be thousands or zero, either way he’s not going reveal anything about his financial circumstances to me). I assume that despite the fact we have equal parental responsibility I have no right to information about the ISA as I did not open it. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Will he at least clarify whether this ISA is actually a JISA in your daughter's name, or an ISA in his own name in which he has savings 'earmarked' for her?