Cheap gas prices from Ebico - Be quick!

edited 11 July at 2:08PM in Energy
12 replies 322 views
Kitchen_SinkKitchen_Sink Forumite
230 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
✭✭
edited 11 July at 2:08PM in Energy
Ebico, and their supply partner RHE, have recently introduced a '12m Summer Saver' tariff which has remarkably cheap unit prices for gas.

It is available as electric only, gas only, or dual fuel, and as the name suggests, prices are fixed for 12 months. £30 early exit fees apply per fuel.

I've not checked all the regions, but all the ones I have charge sub-2p/kWh for gas.
Not sure of any other supplier with unit prices that low.

The standing charges are a little high at around 23p-28p per day for gas, so that will put off low users, but for anyone using the national average of 12000kWh per year or more, they seem to currently be the cheapest.

As I say, I've not checked all the supply regions, so do check yourself using a comparison site, but a nice return to competitive prices from this supplier that has been around for 20 years (although they changed their supply partner to RHE about 3.5 years ago)  that generally receives good feedback from it's customers.

Edit: One downside, it seems, is that this cheap gas tariff is only available to new customers.

Edit2: Be quick! This offer is limited to just 2000 customers.

Replies

• TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see OFTM being knocked off their perch too :-)
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The standing charges are a little high at around 23p-28p per day for gas, so that will put off low users, but for anyone using the national average of 12000kWh per year or more, they seem to currently be the cheapest.

It is certainly a good price for those needing to find a new fixed tariff at the moment.
    It isn't cheaper than things like the Octopus Tracker Tariff, but that is of course variable.
    ... and it isn't cheaper than fixes available elsewhere in the last couple of months, but right now it is good for sure.
    That standing charge is nasty though, even at 12000kWh it still leaves my April fixed tariff at 2.17p/kWh a better deal due to the 17.85p standing charge...

• edited 12 July at 10:27AM
    230 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 12 July at 10:27AM
    MWT said ...
    It isn't cheaper than things like the Octopus Tracker Tariff, but that is of course variable.
    ... and is, of course, not currently available to new applicants.

The Octopus website indicates they are operating a waitlist for applictions to that tariff, with no indication on when (or even if) they may actually process your application.

And even if/when Octopus do eventually process your tracker application, gas is only available as part of a dual fuel tariff

• MWTMWT Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    ... and is, of course, not currently available to new applicants.

The Octopus website indicates they are operating a waitlist for applictions to that tariff, with no indication on when (or even if) they may actually process your application.

And even if/when Octopus do eventually process your tracker application, gas is only available as part of a dual fuel tariff
    The website may not be entirely accurate in that regard as people are getting onto that tariff with very short wait times, typically 24 hours once they are with Octopus, but yes, it is part of a dual tariff and as I said, it is not fixed and may not suit everyone.
    The Ebico tariff is a great opportunity for those needing a new fix now, just not something worth jumping to if you got a fix 2-3 months ago when prices were generally lower.
    Worth doing the maths on the total savings due to the high standing charge, but it is getting harder to find low standing charges in general sadly...
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MWT said:
    That standing charge is nasty though, even at 12000kWh it still leaves my April fixed tariff at 2.17p/kWh a better deal due to the 17.85p standing charge...

Indeed, I'd need to get up to more than 18000kWh to make this one worthwhile.
    Stompa
  • edited 13 July at 11:20AM
    230 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 13 July at 11:20AM
    Stompa said:
    MWT said:

Indeed, I'd need to get up to more than 18000kWh to make this one worthwhile.
    Really? Which supply region are you in? I've not found any region yet where Ebico are not the cheapest for gas based on a the average consumption of 12000kWh pa.

- but I did find their unit price was slightly above 2p in the SW region, but still the cheapest compared to others.

But if you guys want to brag about historic tariffs no longer available, here's a BG bill my parents just sent me:

Beat that!

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What year was that?(obviously post 1971) and what was the position re VAT?
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Wales , Ebico would save me ~ £13pa on 16750 kwh of gas (the cheaper price per kwh balancing out with higher standing charges) but since the exit fee from my current deal is £30, not a runner. The break even without the early termination fee is ~ 12000 kwh pa.
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Break-even point for me is 14,600kWh, but I'd be trading a no exit fee deal for one that has a £30 exit fee and frankly little chance my usage would get close to that number.
    It is still a good deal in terms of the fixes around elsewhere at the moment. as long as you need more than about 10,000kWh, otherwise there are cheaper deals around with lower standing charges.
  • edited 13 July at 4:52PM
    StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 July at 4:52PM
    Really? Which supply region are you in? I've not found any region yet where Ebico are not the cheapest for gas based on a the average consumption of 12000kWh pa.
    Eastern, for which Ebico is 1.97p/kWh, with a standing charge of 25.85p
    My current tariff is 2.213p/kWh, with a standing charge of 13.65p. Mind you, it's a renewal tariff, so won't be open to all.

So for 12000kWh, Ebico = £330.75, my tariff = £315.38.
    Stompa