New Post Advanced Search

BT fun and games, I don't think.

5 replies 131 views
This is take from my email of complaint;

On 23/3/20 a pole, with fibre, was erected not 4 foot from my back door.   I was told it would take "about a fortnight" for it to be"activated".
It took over two months. I accept that this was due to the covid pandemic.
I placed an order for fibre to the premises on 4/6/20.
I received emails informing me that FTTP would be installed on 8/7/20,  and to expect to receive my "BT Hub" on 6/7/20
I was contacted by BT in June as they said my address didn't exist. It does. I proved this by getting the person involved to check on the Post Office's postcode address finder.
Then they told me that I needed to give them my landline number, as they didn't have a record of it. I had to tell BT what my landline number was? I've not used a landline since moving back here from Australia three years ago.
Ok, by ringing Vodafone, who I'm beginning to see  in a whole new light, their assistant found me a way of finding out what BT couldn't. This involved borrowing a neighbours phone, plugging it into my phone socket,  and ringing my mobile. 
I received my BT Hub on the 6th as promised.
So, yesterday (7/7/20), I was talking to my neighbour, who is also expecting BT to connect him to fibre today. He said he'd received a text confirming this.
I hadn't. So I emailed you, asking where  the installation to my house was going ahead. I got no reply.
So I rang BT. I was told that the order hadn't been progressed to the engineer.
Why? Well no one knows. Apparently, BT tried to contact me in June about something. The girl I spoke to wasn't sure what, and so therefore the order hadn't progressed.
BT tried to contact me, and, as they didn't get an answer, they cancelled my order. No follow up, no email, no text, no effort to right the situation.
I was told that as I had the order in, my current contract with Vodafone would be cancelled, and therefore I would not have any internet after today, as BT weren't going to provide me a service.
So I'm left without any service from anyone thanks to BT's dropping the ball.
My wife is currently in Australia looking after her 86 yr old mother.  She has been away for 6 months, and is unlikely to return here for a year. My daughter lives in Australia. We rely heavily on the internet to keep in touch daily, via  Skype, and messaging, etc to keep ourselves reassured and in contact during these troublesome times. I rely on Skype due to having severe hearing loss, and needing to use a headset, and amplifier, to make calls, via my desktop. BT has crapped all over that. Thanks to BT we will no longer be in touch.
Today, my next door neighbour will get FTTP installed, while I, ten feet away,  will be robbed of my connection.
This is solely due  to BT's inability to process a simple order,and your inability to communicate effectively.
What sort of bloody communications company do they call themselves?
Not happy John.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”

Replies

• fatbeetlefatbeetle Forumite
    554 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Just to add insult to injury, I just go an email off them headed;

"Your first bill's ready for you"

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a summarised version of the issue available?
    554 posts
    ✭✭
    Oh brilliant!! After having it confirmed by two different representatives that all communication with me will be done via text and/or email, due to my hearing loss....

They rang me this morning to discuss the matter....
  • AstonSmithAstonSmith Forumite
    24 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    zx81 said:
    Is there a summarised version of the issue available?
    • OP wants to move from Vodafone (non-FTTP) to BT FTTP. After a delay it became available to order.
    • BT couldn't find the address in their database. OP provided a landline phone number. The modem was delivered in July.
    • The order was cancelled in June for an unknown reason. BT didn't contact the OP about this.
    • Vodafone still thinks the migration is happening and is going to cease the connection any day now.
    • OP's neighbour also ordered FTTP and has had no apparent issues.
    This sounds like Openreach cancelled the order due to their phony address database. For whatever reason, BT didn't get that memo, and are still proceeding as if you are being connected.
    Definitely good grounds to complain in my opinion.
    I don't know if this helps, but as you're on good terms with your neighbour, will they allow you to borrow their new FTTP connection while you get yours sorted out? It's possible to get a USB WiFi dongle that you can plug into your desktop computer.
    554 posts
    ✭✭
    Cheers mate, I'm onto that idea now with them.