Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Virgin. Can someone please clarify?

New Post Advanced Search

Virgin. Can someone please clarify?

2 replies 101 views
My 12 month Virgin Media package was due to expire 04/08. I called to cancel on 06/07. I was expecting them to say it's fine to finish on the original end date but the person I spoke to said it would end 06/08 as I need to provide 30 days notice.
Is this correct? The only thing I can see in the terms is giving 30 days when you're out of contract.

Am I expected to pay for an extra month now? 

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MikeD3 said:
    My 12 month Virgin Media package was due to expire 04/08. I called to cancel on 06/07. I was expecting them to say it's fine to finish on the original end date but the person I spoke to said it would end 06/08 as I need to provide 30 days notice.
    Is this correct? The only thing I can see in the terms is giving 30 days when you're out of contract.

Am I expected to pay for an extra month now? 

30 days notice and your billing period are not the same thing.
    You do realise the only thing that "your package was due to expire" means that you are just going to lose any deal/discount you had and it would carry on?  Nothing to stop you getting a new deal if you want to stay with Virgin.

With regards to payments its completely normal that you pay for services one month in advance.  If you up sticks and leave then you get a pro-rata refund after your services end.  So if you pay, for argument's sake, £30 on the 1st of the month and then leave on the 15th you'll get a pro-rata refund of £15 for the days of the month you've paid for but aren't with Virgin.  So in your case your services finish on the 6th but sounds like you pay on the 4th so you'll only be charged for two days and get a refund for the rest of the month.
  • anniecaveanniecave Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just googled "virgin media broadband terms and conditions" and the ones that currently come up clearly say that you have to give 30 days notice, even at end of contract (page 1). If you look on your online account they'll also be listed also so you you could check there.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)