Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

New internet compatible connection point installation - leadtime?

New Post Advanced Search

New internet compatible connection point installation - leadtime?

6 replies 65 views
I've bought a house in a residential area listed as having 'ultra fast broadband' speeds. Unfortunately the current phone line's old and will not support broadband so a compatible connection will need installing by BT. Short of inquiring with BT I was wondering if anyone had had their old telephone connection upgraded recently, and how long it took BT to complete the work from ordering the new connection? 

Replies

• Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    690 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Why 'short of inquiring with BT'? 
    Any answers given on here will only be someone's experience in a different part of the country with different workloads and differing lead times and will most likely not be relevant to your own situation.
    As I understand things, 'BT' doesn't install anything anymore, it's down to 'OpenReach' to manage the wiring network (used to be part of BT, but split off some time ago I think).  You would order the broadband service from BT but if it couldn't be delivered THEY would contact OpenReach to get the problem fixed.  Same with other providers that don't have their own separate network.  Eg, I have EE broadband but when I reported a fault on our telephone line it was an OpenReach engineer who came out to change the cable to the house.  I don't think you can deal with OpenReach directly as a consumer, you can only deal with a broadband provider and they will deal with Openreach, if necessary.
  • The_Fat_ControllerThe_Fat_Controller Forumite
    416 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    How do you know the line will not support broadband ?
    Basic ADSL and FTTC only use phone lines, that is the way the service is provided.
  • littleboolittleboo Forumite
    790 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrafast suggest FTTP or possibly G.Fast. If its FTTP, then it wont be using the copper phone line and you will need fibre delivered into your property. You can chose any ISP to provide the service and make the arrangements with Openreacj, but be aware that the number of ISP's who offer FTTP is limited.
  • edited 8 July at 7:15PM
    The_Fat_ControllerThe_Fat_Controller Forumite
    416 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 8 July at 7:15PM
    G.fast is just upgraded FTTC, only available on short lines and not all cabinets, it is still over the phone line.

@BobJenkins, why do you think your line is so bad it will not support a broadband service ?
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its offered as FTTP then the service is installed to the pole / junction box already .
    Join BT and they book an OR to come out and cable from the pole to inside the house and an ONT box install + router .
    About two weeks from booking and half a day to install was my experience .
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought a house in a residential area listed as having 'ultra fast broadband' speeds. Unfortunately the current phone line's old and will not support broadband so a compatible connection will need installing by BT. Short of inquiring with BT I was wondering if anyone had had their old telephone connection upgraded recently, and how long it took BT to complete the work from ordering the new connection? 

How old is "old"?  My parents phone line was installed long before they moved in in the late 1960s and no extra work was needed to enable broadband on it...

The OP says the area is ultrafast, but that doesn't necessarily mean their particular line is. I wonder if what may have happened instead is that the line is unbundled, so the comparison websites say they cannot supply it.  This tends to happen with TalkTalk, but could happen with others as well.  I would be very surprised if your line does not support broadband in any way, shape or form, considering the system of providing broadband is over the phone line and BT didn't go and retrofit every house in the land...  effectively a bodge was done onto a system only ever designed for telephone calls in the first place.