New Post Advanced Search

Stamp Duty paid by builder

131 replies 9.6K views
Hi All! 

I have recently reserved a new build property and our builder agreed to pay the £11,500 stamp duty as an incentive to purchase our house. We have also just paid £3,500 for our reservation and upgrades to the property. 

Today it has been announced that the government have scrapped Stamp Duty for all houses under £500,000, meaning our builder will no longer have to pay this for our property. 

Would it be cheeky for us now to ask what happens next? We decided to go with this builder specifically because they gave us such a great incentive which it seems like now we now won’t get. 

Should we ask for the money in additional extras in our house? We know they won’t give us it off the property price as they originally miss quoted the house to us (hence the generous offer of paying the stamp duty because they suddenly put the price up). We’re just unsure how to approach the situation with them now. 

Thanks for any advice! 

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean you've not lost anything, so it's not the end of the world. You can try and be cheeky, but ultimately you are getting exactly what you paid for. Doesnt really matter that your supplier got it cheaper
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    32.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask them.

I doubt you'll be the only person to ask.
  • ChloeHanlon22ChloeHanlon22 Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post
    Thanks for your replies! I think I would be less inclined to ask had they not offered to pay the stamp duty as an apology for offering the house at one price and then raising it. We felt the deal was still good because they were effectively paying us back for this rise in our house price we didn’t agree to initially. 

I guess we won’t lose anything by asking... thanks again! 
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you have still got the incentive! You've still saved £11.5K. The only difference is that the taxpayer is funding this, rather than your developer. 
    Of course you can ask, but I know what my response would be...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • edited 8 July at 3:17PM
    princeofpoundsprinceofpounds Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 July at 3:17PM
    What you do here depends on the terms of your reservation agreement. I would certainly be looking to renegotiate - the builder was happy to sell to you at a price 11.5k below what they are now going to receive. That willingness should not have changed (although they'll try their best to keep the windfall, of course they will) - if anything they should be even more keen to ensure sales go through. 

But your ability to renegotiate is likely to be determined by the terms you signed up to in the reservation.
  • monkeymarblesmonkeymarbles Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post
    We've exchanged and one of our incentives is stamp duty. My view is that they still need to pay it over as it's a contractual incentive and clearly mentioned in the contract. I'll wait to see what they say when I ask them!!
  • confused1973confused1973 Forumite
    14 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    We've exchanged and one of our incentives is stamp duty. My view is that they still need to pay it over as it's a contractual incentive and clearly mentioned in the contract. I'll wait to see what they say when I ask them!!
    Let us know how you get on .
  • ChloeHanlon22ChloeHanlon22 Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post
    Thank you for all your advice everyone! 
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ask them and check the terms of the offer, is it a cash sum or not, if stamp duty went up, would they have paid more?

• monkeymarblesmonkeymarbles Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post
    Let us know how you get on .
    Sure will. It's legally binding and I could have 5 homes on top of this so would still have to pay 3% any way. I reckon the legal obligation is on me and the Government, not them and me. Pay up :)