Tax Returned Ltd

Options
Please can someone help. My son filled in a form to claim back £60 uniform costs from HMRC and bever heard anything back last year. Now today he has received a letter stating hes due £488 tax rebate but a cheque has bee n sent to Tax Returned where they take a huge fee. Hes 21 doesnt want anyone dealing with his tax. The link was lacking info and misleading.  Hes due to loose £200. Is there a charge to cancel they gave no telephone number to talk to anyone! 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He'll have signed up for their services unfortunately, so too late to do anything about it now.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 July 2020 at 3:10PM
    Options
    TraceyM14 said:
    Please can someone help. My son filled in a form to claim back £60 uniform costs from HMRC and bever heard anything back last year. Now today he has received a letter stating hes due £488 tax rebate but a cheque has bee n sent to Tax Returned where they take a huge fee. Hes 21 doesnt want anyone dealing with his tax. The link was lacking info and misleading.  Hes due to loose £200. Is there a charge to cancel they gave no telephone number to talk to anyone! 
    He filled in a form from a Private company :   https://www.taxreturned.co.uk/ 

Not exactly lacking info or misleading? but it would have been better to say you could have went direct to HMRC to save money?

Contact details on their site:  https://www.taxreturned.co.uk/contact/

Not Government site:  https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/uniforms-work-clothing-and-tools

Yes, there will be a fee that he agreed to at the time. unfortunately they have done the work as he asked so will not cancel. Their site shows 28% plus vat? He is paying £200??

Fees shown here:  https://www.taxreturned.co.uk/fees/

Ensure in future he always uses the www.gov.uk  site for any tax related enquiries.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son filled in a form to claim back £60 uniform costs from HMRC and bever heard anything back last year.
    It is more likely that your son filled in a third party application from Taxreturned.co.uk and employed them to supply HMRC with the information.
    The link was lacking info and misleading. 
    Having just checked the site, it is actually very clear.  Just above the button to use them it states their charges.
    Is there a charge to cancel they gave no telephone number to talk to anyone! 
    He has the right to cancel within the cancellation rights period.  However, outside of that period, there is no right to cancel without cost and as the job has been completed they are entitled to the money.
    Hes due to loose £200.
    Yes it is very sad but it could be a good lesson for him.   When it comes to Government, you can do most things free of charge and they use the .gov.uk domain.  And HMRC themselves are not scary or horrible unless you are under investigation.  For routine matters, they usually bend over backwards to be helpful.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback