New Post Advanced Search

Broadband advice wanted

12 replies 305 views
2»

Replies

• Edward_HardingEdward_Harding Forumite
    2 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    I was talked into changing from standard Broadband to Fibre last November by a BT telesales person when my contract came up for renewal. I had experienced no problems with standard Broadband and it ran quick enough for my kind of use. Since the changeover I have had nothing but problems. The line keeps dropping and it takes a long time to recover. As an example in the last 24 hours it has dropped 15 times. I have had four Openreach engineers here in my house. They have changed the wiring and the two sockets and the router. They have all confirmed that there is nothing causing this in my house. They all agree that it is on the line from the cabinet which is about a quarter of a mile away and the manhole opposite my house. The last engineer said it was probably caused by a spike. I wrote to the CEO of BT and received a response very quickly. I had a special consultant who called me regularly but nothing changed. They just send an email after a while saying "The case is now closed".  I took it up eventually with resolver and it is still ongoing. They have put another special telephone supporter based in Newcastle  on it who regularly checks. The last one made an appointment for another engineer to come last Wed between 8 and 1. He did not turn up all day. They apologised and could not offer an excuse. They then scheduled another engineer for yesterday. He didn't turn up either. I am waiting for an apology. My daughter lives in the same road and is with Plus Net. She has the same problems but put it down to excessive use as there are 5 of them that use the net. She has never taken it up with her provider. Any ideas? Should I now escalate it to go to the ombudsman?
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <They all agree that it is on the line from the cabinet which is about a quarter of a mile away and the manhole opposite my house. The last engineer said it was probably caused by a spike>
    Ask your provider to let you out of the contract penalty free .

If indeed its the line then its pointless moving ISP unless Virgin Media are in the street .They will all use the same line with the same problem .
    Internet in future consider mobile network 4g dongle .
    Cannot see how Ombudsman will help with a bad cable .