Travel insurance already abroad

Options
I am currently abroad in Europe and now the FO travel advice has changed I can get a travel insurance policy. Are there any insurers other than World Nomads that will cover you when you've already left the UK?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just google it. I did and the top search results were alpha travel insurance, true traveller, tower gate.
    Obviously read the small print, but there seems to be many companies that do this.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are others too... we've used one before, think it was PJ Hayman, but our needs were different and we didn't make a claim thankfully.

Make sure however that the policy will give you the cover you need, especially given you are in Europe and so medical is mainly covered by the EHIC. I know the policy which we bought was very medical focused and had limited cover for personal possessions, delay etc (which again was fine for us)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am currently abroad in Europe and now the FO travel advice has changed I can get a travel insurance policy. Are there any insurers other than World Nomads that will cover you when you've already left the UK?
    Did you have insurance when you left the UK? With most travel insurance, if you are unavoidably forced to extend your stay your cover continues.

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2020 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    There are others too... we've used one before, think it was PJ Hayman, but our needs were different and we didn't make a claim thankfully.

Make sure however that the policy will give you the cover you need, especially given you are in Europe and so medical is mainly covered by the EHIC. I know the policy which we bought was very medical focused and had limited cover for personal possessions, delay etc (which again was fine for us)

Sandtree

I'm a bit confused by your comments and advice to others and what you say you are purchassing and why, 

TIF's many many brands are extremely difficult to get them to pay up on possessions - read the feeback before TIF has it deleted - and even more importantly are refusing to cover or reimburse expenses for EU medical treatment outside of the EU reciprocal provided treatments because in their small print they only cover you for free treatment ie public free treatment.  So you are buying a policy that will refuse to cover you unless you have taken treatment that is free of charge - and as you rightly say - they are all overed for free by EHIC. 

So what hospital and medical cover do you think TIF branded policies covers in the EU that isn't covered by EHIC and if that is none whatseover - then why would any sensible person knowingly buy any TIF policy?   What EU medical cover do you think they actually have?

As you know, TIF's medical director is currently in a process of being disbarred from UK medical practice for being instrumental in the deaths of three of TIF's insured because of their refusal to repatriate seriously ill TIF customers.
  • Sandtree
    Options
    My "advice" was that there are many brands other than World Nomads.

My subsequent comment was that from my own experience most of these types of policies focus on the medical side of travel insurance rather than the other components like possessions. I pointed out a brand that I used several years ago... at that time their insurer was not UK based so no idea if they had a TIF connection then or not. But most the ones I looked at had the same limited cover outside of medical cover. This was relevant as the OP said they are on holiday in "Europe" and as a UK forum it is therefore likely their medical needs (other than medi-evac) are covered by EHIC rather than travel insurance so these policies may be of very limited use to them (we had different circumstances (someone not covered by EHIC and not resident in the UK) and were only really looking for medical cover - fortunately we had no need to claim so cannot comment on that side for the insurer PJ Hayman were using at the time).

I know you have a personal crusade against TIF Group and undoubtedly memorised every brand they trade under but it may be more helpful to simply warn others of bad experience when someone happens to mention one of them or better still promote a brand that does provide post departure travel insurance that gives a better service than TIF Group brands (and in this case isn't World Nomads).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm only really focused on medical - in France so my understanding is with EHIC out of pocket can be 20%. Could end up being quite a sum for a serious injury. Didn't have insurance when I left, but the reason I don't want to use World Nomads is that they refused to extend my cover at no cost (as the ABA advised) when I was unavoidably stuck overseas earlier in the year. Not very happy with them because of that.
  • uk1
    edited 6 July 2020 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    My "advice" was that there are many brands other than World Nomads.

My subsequent comment was that from my own experience most of these types of policies focus on the medical side of travel insurance rather than the other components like possessions. I pointed out a brand that I used several years ago... at that time their insurer was not UK based so no idea if they had a TIF connection then or not. But most the ones I looked at had the same limited cover outside of medical cover. This was relevant as the OP said they are on holiday in "Europe" and as a UK forum it is therefore likely their medical needs (other than medi-evac) are covered by EHIC rather than travel insurance so these policies may be of very limited use to them (we had different circumstances (someone not covered by EHIC and not resident in the UK) and were only really looking for medical cover - fortunately we had no need to claim so cannot comment on that side for the insurer PJ Hayman were using at the time).

I know you have a personal crusade against TIF Group and undoubtedly memorised every brand they trade under but it may be more helpful to simply warn others of bad experience when someone happens to mention one of them or better still promote a brand that does provide post departure travel insurance that gives a better service than TIF Group brands (and in this case isn't World Nomads).
    I have no personal crusade against TIF. I simply asked why you purchased a policy for medical cover that provided no medical cover, which you haven't answered.  If anyone has a crusade it is you, in both rubbishing both The Times and it's lead reporter Andrew Ellson when he reports on the death and injuries caused by this group over many years, despite considerable effort by TIF to silence him and The Times, and anyone who points people to it.

The difference between us is that I care sufficiently to ensure people understand and are warned about the issue and can make an informed choice whereas people like you rubbish me for doing so. My reasons for posting on the subject are clear, your reasons for undermining me - not so clear.

• uk1
    edited 6 July 2020 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm only really focused on medical - in France so my understanding is with EHIC out of pocket can be 20%. Could end up being quite a sum for a serious injury. Didn't have insurance when I left, but the reason I don't want to use World Nomads is that they refused to extend my cover at no cost (as the ABA advised) when I was unavoidably stuck overseas earlier in the year. Not very happy with them because of that.
    Hi,
    I'm not clear on what hazard you are trying to avoid so it might be useful if you were more explicit.  You are unlikely to have a medical issue whilst in France and if you did then you have a relatively small financial liability - an you also have the possibility under most circumstances to get home. 
    What specific medical issue are you concerned about where the cost of insurance is less than the probablity of being liable for some small expenses?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mostly injuries from activities such as hiking or kayaking, which can quickly become expensive due to their relative remoteness. I understand mountain rescue is free but not any doctors they send up. But you could always get hit by a car around town too.
  • Sandtree
    Options
    uk1 said:
    I have no personal crusade against TIF. I simply asked why you purchased a policy for medical cover that provided no medical cover, which you haven't answered.  If anyone has a crusade it is you, in both rubbishing both The Times and it's lead reporter Andrew Ellson when he reports on the death and injuries caused by this group over many years, despite considerable effort by TIF to silence him and The Times, and anyone who points people to it.

The difference between us is that I care sufficiently to ensure people understand and are warned about the issue and can make an informed choice whereas people like you rubbish me for doing so. My reasons for posting on the subject are clear, your reasons for undermining me - not so clear.

It did provide medical cover? Non EU resident and non EU citizen visiting the UK and continental Europe for an extended stay had full medical cover under the policy.  From very vague memory the insurer was US based, but could well be wrong, and what I could find of them was favourable in comparison to World Nomads. Thankfully no claim was required to be made so cannot say how the policy would have responded and I am guessing you are trying to imply it would have responded poorly. Seeing as you know this it would be appreciated if you could jog my memory of which insurer they were using at the time.

As a publication I certainly don't like the tabloidesque Times but didn't rubbish either the article or its author; all I stated was I cannot read it as its behind a paywall and that I won't comment on what I cannot read.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback