Ryanair Refund

Options
Hey guys - I'm hoping someone can advise me on behalf of my parent's....

They booked a flight to Italy before this whole pandemic started getting out of hand, and due to both being in the 'vulnerable group', I'm reluctant to have them travel in two weeks time. 

As things stand, the only way out of this is from a flight cancellation, which looks increasingly unlikely as time goes on.

There is an option to reschedule for a later point, but at the expense of another massive fee - and who know's whether any risk of infection will be eliminated by then? Plus i wouldn't be surprised if Ryanair went into administration. 

I've talked to them over the phone and they're stance is pretty firm...travel on the scheduled date, or balls to you and your £700.

Short of hoping for a cancellation, what avenues can I take to push for a refund? 

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a positive outcome from this? 

Comments

• redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ryanair will not be reasonable, I had a friend who was in a similar position to you and they wanted £825 to change the flights to next year, they did not bother and lost their money.
    just remember next time you want to book a flight and give them a wide bearth
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    franky000 said:

There is an option to reschedule for a later point, but at the expense of another massive fee - and who know's whether any risk of infection will be eliminated by then? Plus i wouldn't be surprised if Ryanair went into administration. 

Ryanair won't be going into administration.  Many airlines may disappear int he aftermath of C-19, but Ryanair will not be one of them.

franky000 said:
    Short of hoping for a cancellation, what avenues can I take to push for a refund? 

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a positive outcome from this? 

Unfortunately there's no other avenue to push for a refund from Ryanair.  If the flight goes ahead, they are not obliged to offer a refund, and therefore they won't.

If there is any medical reason your parents are prohibited from travelling, for which they could get proof, or government advice is not to travel, then you may be able to make a claim on their travel insurance for the cost of the flights.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    franky000 said:

I've talked to them over the phone and they're stance is pretty firm...travel on the scheduled date, or balls to you and your £700.
    Do you mean to say that your parents still want to take the trip on the planned dates, despite your concerns..?

I would say that there is no more danger of infection here in Italy than there is by staying in the UK, quite likely less in fact at present and in coming weeks unless situations change substantially. If anything, precautions are taken more seriously in Italy than in UK, and assuming that your parents will also adhere to them I wouldn't be too concerned.

Ryanair are going to stick to their general terms and prices for rescheduling a booking that was agreed at time of purchase, why shouldn't they..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is not a specific Ryanair issue, In general airlines are not refunding for disinclination to travel, some may be waiving change fees or giving future travel vouchers, but not refunds unless a refundable ticket.
    It will be worth them checking their travel insurance policy details to see whether there is any possibility of a claim there
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We had a relatively pleasant flight back from Spain on Ryanair last week - about 20 passengers on the plane and nice relaxed terminals at both ends.
    I would not worry about the travelling as it will probably be more pleasant than normal.
    Just make sure that they take some sandwiches and facemasks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback