New Post Advanced Search

Flight and Car hire Atol Protection

5 replies 41 views
Hi all,
I don't know if this is a well known loophole and I'm behind times, Could I book flights with an airline and take car hire for 30 mins which works out £33 and be ATOL protected and when I arrive tell the car hire company I don't need to hire the car? I can save £500 by booking the flights and hotel separately
Thanks in advance

Replies

• bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do you want to be ATOL protected? Do you feel the airline involved are at a significant risk of collapsing whilst you are abroad?
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s a trick which can be done and often saves you money, but frowned upon by the tour operators.  Seems best saving often found with British Airways Holidays vs. British Airways. Occasionally Virgin Holidays vs. Virgin Atlantic.

As well as sometimes being cheaper booking a Fly Drive package vs. just the flight, you also have a ATOL protected trip.

No need to collect the car and drive it for 30minutes. Just don’t visit the car hire desk and don’t collect in the first place.
  • MitchB88MitchB88 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    bagand96 said:
    Why do you want to be ATOL protected? Do you feel the airline involved are at a significant risk of collapsing whilst you are abroad?
    In the current climate its hard to judge whether any airline is at significant risk, so being ATOL protected I can assure that the money isn't lost.
  • MitchB88MitchB88 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    Westin said:
    It’s a trick which can be done and often saves you money, but frowned upon by the tour operators.  Seems best saving often found with British Airways Holidays vs. British Airways. Occasionally Virgin Holidays vs. Virgin Atlantic.

As well as sometimes being cheaper booking a Fly Drive package vs. just the flight, you also have a ATOL protected trip.

No need to collect the car and drive it for 30minutes. Just don’t visit the car hire desk and don’t collect in the first place.
    I was worried I could somehow incur a charge if I didn't turn up, but that does make sense. I've been checking all the agents with a package for the hotel I'm interested in and they are a minimum of £500 more expensive. Good to know its a trick that is possible 
    Thanks
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't you just spend the money on travel insurance?